This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Jump starting / hand cranking

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Moss1980
Zip Code: 22580
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (first one of hopefully many to come )

Jump starting / hand cranking

Postby Moss1980 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm

I have a maybe ( ignorant ) question , the cub i just got a 49 cub , has no battery,no starter, they are missing , and the carb needs to be rebuilt , when i do rebuild the carb, is it possible to hand crank the cub without the battery and starter and if so , do i need to do anything with the starter cable and battery cables, wrap them up ?

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Jump starting / hand cranking

Postby indy61 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Yes if you have a magneto ignition. But you can try and hand crank it all day long and it may never start. A lot of things need to be right. Easily flooded

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Thought you said the carb was stolen?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 pm

I would do a few other things. Prime the oil pump, file mag points, and maybe check condition of spark plugs. See if you have fire before you seriously try to crank it. If after a few tries with the crank and still no go, you could try pulling it off. A compression check is in order if it won’t fire up. Engine with low compression and having not run in awhile will take more oomph than what you can produce with a crank, hence my suggestion for pulling it off. I see Don has posted. If I recall, we’ve already given suggestions for this cub. Have you done anything to it?
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:22 pm

I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi,
Below is your post from December 9 that I wrote info on about priming the oil pump, and it has a 1949 Cub owner's manual.
My post is the last one on the page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106139

J P Tractor Salvage at the bottom of the page has used Cub parts. :)

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Might not be time to try and start it. And a hand crank is a possibility.
IF flywheel will fit a proper crank , and if you know how to use a crank properly to avoid injury... And have tractor in neutral (not maybe)And you've gone through fluids filter(s) and fuel delivery and quality and inspections and proper tune up and followed folks advice here like Glen's mention of pump priming ,and studied your wires to know which circuit does what and current directions...And know where choke needs to be , It might be time.

Starting the Cub could lead to more problems than you already have if you rush it...

What's the story on the carb that wasn't and now is as asked?
Type?

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:52 am

Being that you haven't seen it run, I'd do the prep work Thomas suggested and then pull start it.
Remember to pull from the drawbar - not the front. Use third gear.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:56 am

Hand cranking a Cub isn't too bad (compared to an H or M). My starter switch needs repaired or replaced so I do it a lot. Just be sure your thumb isn't wrapped around the handle, keep it next to your index finger. There's a picture in the manual if your not sure what I'm saying. Good Luck and BE SAFE. John

Moss1980
Zip Code: 22580
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub (first one of hopefully many to come )

Postby Moss1980 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Happy new year everyone, thanks for all your replys , i been out of town for work for a month almost so just getting to read everyones replys. , so i bought a carb , but it surely needs to be rebuilt , i got the cub with no carb,starter,battery,ignition switch,battery box,rear light,hand crank,front wheel weights, the tears were off but i guess to heavy for who ever stole everything to carry away , the old man said it ran , but of course no way to show me when i bought it , the cub sat in a barn on a lot with a empty house , down to road from the guy i bought it from . so back to the carb, i bought one and its the proper one for the cub i believe , its a IH carb , and looked up the numbers and it does fit the year , so i ordered a rebuild kit this morning for it , tomorrow after i wake i plan on going out and checking all the fluids and changing any that needs it along with the finals , i wish i could resize pics on my phone, the cub looks great so im sure it just needs a bit freshing up to get going , but did not want to have to buy a starter,battery if in fact it did not run by hand cranking , also ordered a ignition switch as well, i seen 2 wires behind the dash so i ordered a 2 wire switch , i will transfer pics from my cell to my desktop and add some pics for yall to check out , im excited to get this cub up and running since i jave no way to get wood from the woods since my old huskey garden tractor blew up . will keep everyone updated

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:31 pm

When you open the carb, pull the two halves straight apart or you'll break the thin idle tube. Here's a link to a post in the "how to" forum that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=139&t=83618 Let us know if you have any questions during the rebuild. There are more threads on the carb in that subforum.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:15 am

If the two wires behind the dash both went to the switch, then it is likely you have battery ignition with a distributor. In that case, you won't be able to start it without a power source (battery), even if borrowed from another vehicle. Should be a 6 volt, unless someone has converted yours to 12 volt. A magneto would allow you to start and run with no battery, if working properly. If you do a search on here or look at TM tractor's website you can find pictures to help you identify if you have magneto or distributor.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)