This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snow?

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:06 am

outdoors4evr wrote:I think it would be great if the eastern seaboard got a lot of snow. I'd also be pretty happy if the Ohio valley and Canada got lots of it.

And I’m thinking that I don’t care much for what you’re thinking! :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 am

coppersmythe wrote:
Stanton wrote:
Mike in Louisiana wrote:Well you guys have fun in the snow, I still have my woods 42 on my tractor. Cold here today high is only going to be 63 today..
Hey Val you didn’t plow any snow yet either did you?

Mike: Are you still mowing grass?
hello all from the somewhat chilly south ( 40* this morning, high today in the 70's , couple days ago in the 80's ) . not sure about mike , he's "way up there" in north louisiana . looks like my last cut of grass was about 3 weeks ago . winter gives me time to do a lot of the maintenance ( 5 cubs at this time ) without being in the " summer steam bath season " . coppersmythe.....................PS: setting aside january to try and finish the '48 high and wide , counting on y'all for some much needed advice . Bill , PERFECT picture!!

I quit mowing about 1 November but it still needed to be cut.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:42 am

Don McCombs wrote:
outdoors4evr wrote:I think it would be great if the eastern seaboard got a lot of snow. I'd also be pretty happy if the Ohio valley and Canada got lots of it.

And I’m thinking that I don’t care much for what you’re thinking! :lol:

Agreed!
I appreciate your generosity but you can keep that snow west of us. We’ll just have be happy reading about all the fun your having. ;)
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:40 am

Snow??? Here I'm looking at cutting my clover as its still growing in my fields. My peas, onion, garlic, turnips, mustard n rutabagas are also growing well too. 90% of the time I'm wearing short sleeves on Christs-mass day. Here is a funny video on how we look at snow way south of masson-dixe line....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj1LWJ0vV-w
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am

Drfting1 wrote:Son edited the pic and took out that shadow

I gotta agree that this is a postcard photo. AWESOME... Luv seeing these ole' iron horses working even after 40-70 years later.
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:
Drfting1 wrote:Got her out playing..

Bill that is a nice pic!
In fact, that’s Christmas card worthy!
On a side note I followed up on another plow/grader set up. It had been on CL and though it was pretty cheap (like me ;) ) I was doing my best to resist.
Then yesterday I look on Facebook marketplace and it’s there too only with a price drop. I’ve said it before, if you dangle the right part in front of me, at a cheap enough price, I’ll bite. So I took the drive today and upon arriving I ask Bill if he’s heard of farmallcub.com. He says yes he’s “Drifting “!
Small world huh? :)
Despite the sub-arctic temps we had a nice visit.
Gotta tell ya, his Cub looks as nice or better in person. Yes Bill you did a nice job on that. You should be proud.
Back on the snow, I’m on the Jersey Shore, 8 miles from the ocean so we only got a dusting.
Bill on the other hand , well he has a proper Currier and Ives scene at his place. Very pretty up there.
Mike

Thanks for the compliments, it was great to meet you, wish weather was little nicer and had a little more time to talk, could have educated me some more on these cubs... I still have a lot to learn, really hope one day to make it to one of these cubfests and meet up with you again and hopefully some more of the members here in person. One day when I'm down that way, would love to stop by see your cubs if your available
Bill Longeill

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Drfting1 wrote:
Lt.Mike wrote:
Drfting1 wrote:Got her out playing..

Bill that is a nice pic!
In fact, that’s Christmas card worthy!
On a side note I followed up on another plow/grader set up. It had been on CL and though it was pretty cheap (like me ;) ) I was doing my best to resist.
Then yesterday I look on Facebook marketplace and it’s there too only with a price drop. I’ve said it before, if you dangle the right part in front of me, at a cheap enough price, I’ll bite. So I took the drive today and upon arriving I ask Bill if he’s heard of farmallcub.com. He says yes he’s “Drifting “!
Small world huh? :)
Despite the sub-arctic temps we had a nice visit.
Gotta tell ya, his Cub looks as nice or better in person. Yes Bill you did a nice job on that. You should be proud.
Back on the snow, I’m on the Jersey Shore, 8 miles from the ocean so we only got a dusting.
Bill on the other hand , well he has a proper Currier and Ives scene at his place. Very pretty up there.
Mike

Thanks for the compliments, it was great to meet you, wish weather was little nicer and had a little more time to talk, could have educated me some more on these cubs... I still have a lot to learn, really hope one day to make it to one of these cubfests and meet up with you again and hopefully some more of the members here in person. One day when I'm down that way, would love to stop by see your cubs if your available

Educate you on Cubs? :roll: Well you’ve got to take that with a grain of salt. I know enough to get us both into trouble. :lol: I have a lot to learn too. ;) Besides, don’t sell yourself short. You’ve got a fine looking tractor and the work I saw that you did, well I know more than a few tractor owners who couldn’t do that or be brave enough to try.
When you get the chance you’ve got to hit the Cubfests, the Bash or Cecil’s NEfest is right north of you if your still in Jersey next fall.
The guys at those events are the ones you’ll gain knowledge from. ;)
Oh and yes if you ever get down my way your more than welcome to drop by.
:hattip:
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04086
Tractors Owned: 1958 Farmall 130
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:23 am

Reading through these posts it seems like every area of the country has it's on and off season . We got about 7" of snow on Dec. 3rd for our first snow of the year . I do 3 driveways and the cub did just fine with chains and wheel weights but I need to repair or replace my chains ( heavy wear on all of the crosslinks ) .

Bob

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Mainely Saws wrote:... I need to repair or replace my chains ( heavy wear on all of the crosslinks ) . Bob

Often I've seen chains that are very worn on one side. The tire side does not show any wear. Flipping the chains over (in this case) will get several more years of wear before needing replacement. This may not be your case.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:
Mainely Saws wrote:... I need to repair or replace my chains ( heavy wear on all of the crosslinks ) . Bob

Often I've seen chains that are very worn on one side. The tire side does not show any wear. Flipping the chains over (in this case) will get several more years of wear before needing replacement. This may not be your case.

Bill

Good tip, Bill.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Bill Hudson wrote: Flipping the chains over (in this case) will get several more years of wear before needing replacement. This may not be your case.

Bill

Just check to make sure that the cut ends of the chain are not going to dig into the sidewall and eventually cause a puncture. I have seen this happen on passenger tires, but not specifically on tractor tires.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mainely Saws
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04086
Tractors Owned: 1958 Farmall 130
1962 Farmall cub
1952 farmall cub

Postby Mainely Saws » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for the tip of flipping the chains Stanton but unfortunately mine are worn so thin it wouldn't help . I have used a temporary measure of replacing the broken crosslink links with a small shackle . Question , I can buy precut 3/8 x 11" crosslinks from the local marine store very cheap ( about $2.50 per 11" section ) compared to buying crosslinks online at $10.20 per section BUT they are not twisted links . They are hardened steel welded links but I don't know how hard . Would this do the job ? I could do one whole rear tire with 11 total crosslink chains for about $30.00 compared to $115.00 . Yes , I am on a budget ........

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:58 pm

How about putting a couple of twists in the crosslink before fastening the second end?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:01 pm

As of now calling for 4+ Monday evening, so blade and possibly chains will be going on this weekend. Getting excited!!!!
Shawn Agne

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:How about putting a couple of twists in the crosslink before fastening the second end?

That might work better. It would probably require slightly longer cross chains to maintain the same fit.

Return to “Farmall Cub”