This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

replacing bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lowgearfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03227
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'83 Kubota B7100

replacing bolts

Postby lowgearfarm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 am

I get occasionally get tech-email from hydraulicsupermarket.com and I found this morning's post relevant enough to share. Full disclosure: I've edited the original for brevity
Unlike bolts used on engine heads, most of the bolts used to assemble hydraulic components and port flanges are not 'torqued to yield'. In other words, bolts used on engine heads are torqued beyond their elastic limit and therefore using them a second time is fraught with danger. This is generally not the case with bolts used to assemble hydraulic components. In a review of a large body of hydraulic component manufacturers repair instructions covering pumps, motors and cylinders none of the instructions specify that pump rear cover or cylinder head bolts be replaced with new. This is not to say that all bolts can go round and round indefinitely. Therefore, in practice, as in a repair shop situation, there is no way of knowing for sure how many times a set of bolts has been used and it may be prudent to crack check bolts using dye penetrant.
There is another reason for NOT replacing bolts unless absolutely necessary. High tensile bolts and cap screws are not cheap, so, like a lot of industrial parts these days, there is the possibility of counterfeiting between grades. Do you know for sure that a 10.9 grade cap screw is not 8.8 (or lower) being passed off as 10.9? So, if you're going to throw perfectly good bolts in the scrap bin, you'd better make sure the bolts you replace them with are the genuine article from a reliable source.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: replacing bolts

Postby BigBill » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:29 pm

As an 7 year old kid I changed the bolts on my bicycle front end a jc Higgins with a front spring to softer bolts not knowing about bolt hardness. I got 52 stitches in the head for that mistake plus a education about bolt hardness from the oldman.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby inairam » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm

I was in aerospace for 10 years. People whet to jail for passing off inferior bolts to the military as high grade bolts.

In a high cycle stress applications like a cylinder head, the main reason for the torque is not clamping force but to put the bolt under a stress higher then what the cycle stress the bolt will see ( cylinders firing) and this will extend the life for the bolt due to increase the fatigue life of a bolt.

Torque to yield bolts are a relatively new idea. I do not think there were around in the 1940s when the C60 was designed. I think there were introduced for the application using aluminum heads on cast iron blocks which is not the case of C60.

With a cast iron head and block, a strong bolt torqued correctly is the way to go.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:12 am

Remember the new Mack trucks years ago had the wrong grade bolt on there steering pitman arms. Not good when your rolling 75 k pounds
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”