This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Missing bearing cover

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scott in ME
Zip Code: 04032

Missing bearing cover

Postby Scott in ME » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:23 am

I'm embarrassed that I just noticed this now on my Cub. Look at the two photos. The first is of the sheet metal cap that covers the wheel bearing on my left rear wheel. It appears to be held in place by several bolts. The second is of the same spot on my right wheel, where the cover is missing. I can't imagine how it would have come off, as the bolts are still in place. Perhaps a previous owner removed it and I was too blind to notice. Two questions: what is this cover called, and where can I find one? I checked Steiner Tractor, and perhaps searching under a wrong name, found nothing. Any advice on finding one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Missing bearing cover

Postby tst » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm

that is the way its made, that is exposed so a drive gear for the planter can be bolted on, you do have a nice oil leak going on

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to be, though a tad less oily! The is an o-ring on the shaft under that castle nut. Not sure if you can replace it without further disassembly...perhaps someone can advise.
Or, just clean it off and continue. When it stops oozing, you need to refill the final oil pan with more gear oil!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Scott in ME

Postby Scott in ME » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Is that mess coming out from my transmission oil supply - the one that fills from behind the gearshift? It appears to be all one piece.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Scott in ME wrote:Is that mess coming out from my transmission oil supply?

Yes, and often condensation will raise the fluid level above the seals. There is a level plug on the side of the tranny that you can remove and see if you get a milky oil/water mixture out indicating it needs to be drained and refilled.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Looks to me like the leak is coming from above, not at the seed plate drive. It would have to be if it were oil from the transmission. Search for any threads that mention oil and brakes for previous discussions.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes, you guys are correct...I failed to notice all the oil ABOVE the axle...sorry about that! :oops:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi,
Below is a page from the 1949 Cub owner's manual, telling about the Seed Plate Drive, on the right final drive.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-48.jpg

There is an oil seal in the right side cap, TM Tractor has a new seal, but it may not be leaking much there.
If oil is running out from above the Seed Plate Drive, the transmission oil may be too high, check it like was said above. It should be filled only to the level of the level plug hole, low on the left side of the trans. It is common they get water in them, you could change the oil, if you haven't.
The drain plug is visible from under the platform.
Or the trans or final drive oil seals are wornout and leaking, on the final drive upper shaft, the shaft the brake drum is on.
There should be no oil there, the areas where the brakes are should be dry. They are areas between the trans and final drives.
The brakes probably don't work with oil on them.
It is common to need to replace the oil seals, they wear out after years of use.
TM Tractor has new seals.
You could give the Cub a power wash, so you can see where the oil is leaking from better. :)

I can't quite see in your pics, it looks like the Cub has a different than IH drawbar on it.
Below are pics from TM Tractor of the IH drawbar, if you want to look at the pics.
They have brackets that space it down from the final drives.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gdr/drbar_001.htm

Scott in ME

Postby Scott in ME » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the information re: the drawbar. I have always wondered why mine does not seem to fit correctly. Yes, a good washing is in order before it's cold enough to freeze the water. I took a photo of the area around the drive gear, to give a better idea of where the leak is coming from.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Drawbar brackets use a special tapered bolt, don't want to break the holes in the finals.
Nice pics :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/324fp.htm

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi,
Two of the holes in the drawbar for the bolts that hold it on the brackets were originally for 1/2" bolts.
It looks like in your pic that the drawbar holes may have been drilled out to 5/8", so it bolts to the final drive.

Below is a page from the Cub parts manual, showing the drawbar. Numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5 are the Swinging Drawbar, it is extra.
The standard drawbar is numbers 4, 7, and 8. The 1/2" bolts are shown below number 8 in the description.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 009-02.jpg

I don't know what size the holes for the 2 pins are, it doesn't say.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for new drawbar brackets, you can look at the pics.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/489fp.htm

You could cut lengths of bushings, the right size and length to fill the extra space, if you put the brackets on, and use 1/2" bolts.
Or buy a used drawbar, with the brackets. :)

The brake is in the housing where the hole is in your pic. There is also a hole in the front, where the brake rod is. You could use a light and look in, and see how much oil is there.
The area where the brake is should be dry.

Return to “Farmall Cub”