This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

all four spark plugs firing at once

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

all four spark plugs firing at once

Postby 790rivers » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

It's been so long since I posted about the salvaged 47 cub that I am starting a new thread with a new question. The old thread on it is here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103780#p822191
The new puzzle is that all four spark plugs fire at once when I crank it with the starter. I have four test lights between the spark plug wires and the plugs and they have served me well in checking for spark on meh other cubs. But I have never seen one do this. I've never had a magneto before either. And I have yet to hear this cub actually turn over with gas.
Also, the starter will crank whether the ignition switch is pulled out or not, but the plugs will only light up with it in the run position (pulled out).
I was thinking of bringing it to Cecil's as a group project, to benefit from the collective wisdom there, but I have never trailered a cub before and would be renting the trailer from home depot to do it. I am trying to get it running before I take that leap.
As usual, many thanks for all you advise.

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: all four spark plugs firing at once

Postby Dusty B » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 pm

The U-Haul 5X9 ramp trailer is almost an ideal fit for transportation of a Cub!! Have used them several times! Has the mesh ramp on the back which serves as an emergency back-up in case something comes loose! Not sure what Home Depot has. Sounds to me like you may have a spider nest is the mag cap that's letting the spark go everywhere at once !! Have you cleaned the the cap out (sprayed w/electrical cleaner??). Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

Postby 790rivers » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:23 pm

I'll check out the U-Haul, thanks.
Watching a little more carefully, it looks like the spark is happening in pairs, two strong and two week, and then they flip, like the pistons. But should the two that are not at their top points be firing at all?
I have the battery on the charger while trying to start it, but it still drains quickly. And the hank crank has no petter luck getting it to start. No smoke at all.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:43 pm

Check the rotor position. Perhaps rotor is between two distributor cap spark plug towers when coil fires.

Edit. Check inside of distributor cap for condition, carbon tracking. Also check rotor condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Bring it to Cecil's. He likes to mess with mags.
The switch on the dash only shorts out the mag, when off. Does not control starter.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi,
Here is info about the magneto, if you need it.
The rotor points to one terminal inside the distributor cap at a time, like on a Battery Ignition unit.

Below is the 1947 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend reading it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
The magneto info is on pages 30 - 32. It shows how to get to the points, they might need replacing, if they haven't been replaced lately.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The rotor on a Cub magneto is gear driven. The rotor and drive gear have timing marks, they have to be in the right position, so the marks are aligned.
Also, the gear teeth need greasing. Clean the area under the cover, if the grease is old.
The rotor is held onto the plate by the cover, and the cover is held on with 2 screws.
Check the gear teeth for wear, and replace the parts if they are in bad condition.
TM Tractor has magneto parts.

The rotor should be pointing about straight up, when the engine is at number 1 cylinder TDC.
Number 1 spark plug wire is at the top position on the magneto cap.

Below is a pic from John of the timing marks, the rotor cover is off in the pic. :)
Attachments
Cub magneto 4.jpg
Cub magneto 4.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Last edited by Glen on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 790rivers » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks Glen, and everyone,
Yes, I went through the magneto pretty thoroughly, cleaned and aligned the rotor with the mark on the gear as you and the manual describes and confirmed when I had the head off that it was indeed clicking loud and clear both at TDC and 180 degrees from TDC. I bench tested the magneto and it sparked, and still kept sparking mounted back on the cub at the plugs. I also have compression in as much as my palm over the intake at the (new, not IH) carb feels the vacuum, and I've been spraying starter fluid in when cranking, and confirmed that the gas is flowing from a little pony tank I connected while the tank is off.
I'm super happy with how far along this basket case has come, given how poor it appeared at first. It was just a rusty hulk in the woods a few miles from my barn. And even though Cecil has been encouraging, I'm reluctant to truck it up to Oxford (just two hours north from me) unless I know for sure it is worthy of being a cub fest project. I don't want to impose my problem on the happy occasion! But if I can get it to at least to fire for a minute, then trucking it to Oxford might make sense. (and please pardon previous typos--my keyboard has a mind of its own)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Don't worry about it being worthy of a Cubfest project. Guys often bring non-runners, or Cubs with stuck engines. Most of the time they leave running, unless parts aren't available or they need a visit to an engine shop. Cecil promises to have any Cub running within 30 minutes! :D
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:22 pm

790rivers wrote: I'm reluctant to truck it up to Oxford (just two hours north from me) unless I know for sure it is worthy of being a cub fest project. I don't want to impose my problem on the happy occasion! But if I can get it to at least to fire for a minute, then trucking it to Oxford might make sense. (and please pardon previous typos--my keyboard has a mind of its own)

This is what CubFests are for. This is not a "Shine-'em-and-line-'em-up" affair. Your problem is precisely what get the repair juices flowing. These people love solving problems and getting greasy doing it, in addition we get to eat well too! No one cares if it runs or not, the challenge is to get it running before you leave. In the 13 years I've been attending CubFests, very few nonrunners were not running at the end of the CubFest.

I look forward to meeting you next month.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby 790rivers » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks to everyone's feedback and encouragement, I took the plunge and today delivered the '47 to Cecil's for the NE Cub Fest. Dusty's suggestion about the U-Haul 5x9 was especially helpful, for someone who had never trailered a cub. And after giving it a look, Cecil was enthusiastic about it as a project--he said it suited the event very well! See you in Oxford,
Jason

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Took my non-runner to DSCF last Feb - left w/it running like a champ and pumping oil out the rear seal!!!! rerun to the Bash in June and solved that problem!! As said - that is what cufests are for!!! Lots of good help!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!