This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

International pull behind manual set 2/3 bottom plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43506
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

International pull behind manual set 2/3 bottom plow

Postby Ruralguy57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am

I have a question for the group:

I have a line on an International pull behind dual lever manual set [I think they call it a trip plow] 2/3 bottom plow for $300.00. The guy who owns it now said you can remove the back plow and use it as a 2 bottom plow for smaller applications. I am to look at it today. I have read in here you only can use a fast hitch plow with a Cub Lo Boy , and wondered if it is mounted to the draw bar can you use an old style drag plow? I thought you could use a middle round disk plow with the Cub Lo Boy? The guy said he ran it on a larger tractor but sold it, so the plow is now for sale. He had taken it to an auction but got 0 bids on it.

If the plow would mount to the draw bar, what problems will I have? I would like to run the unit as a 1 bottom plow and open up a drain ditch. I have an area of the property that always is wet and should be either channeled or tiled. There are a few videos on the net of a guy using a small 1 point plow on a garden tractor dropping a tile line. Being that this unit is self contained, has 3 rubber wheels [all 3 wheels have tires and you could run it down the road, the guy said he has at about 10 mph] and 3 plows and 2 levers and stands alone, I am wondering if it would work great? I have seen shots on the net of garden tractors, and other smaller tractors pulling 3 bottom plows, and I am guessing the Cub Lo Boy has more grunt than a typical garden tractor. I have used a drag wagon with the Cub Lo Boy as well as a roller and moved my 10'x7' 1963 Mallard travel trailer. They all mounted fine to the draw bar, or the hitch attached to the draw bar. One problem I could see is that the cub might not have enough grunt to pull all 3 plows if the ground was heavy clay. We have heavy clay, but I am only wanting 1 drop line for a channel or a tile.

Richard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: International pull behind manual set 2/3 bottom plow

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am

Internet search and you will find photos and manuals for IH trip plows. Some are for sale.

I'm assuming this is the trailer type trip plow. If so, it is attached/hooked to the tractor's drawbar.

OK. You didn't say what size the plow bottoms were. 10, 12, 14, 16 inches. My guess is its either a 3-14" or 3-16" bottom plow.

Without seeing the plow, you won't be able to pull, plow with it. Even with one bottom. One bottom is probably to big for a Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:12 am

That sounds like a No. 8 (Little Genius) or similar. You can make them a 2 or 3 bottom, but I don't think you can make it a one bottom. IH made single bottom trip plows, but I've never seen a Cub pulling one. IMO a trailer plow works better than a fully mounted one, it would be interesting to try a one bottom 10 or 12 behind a Cub.

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 am

The pictures are all I have at the moment.

international plow 1.jpg
International plow 1

international plow 2.jpg
international plow 2

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:35 am

I could be wrong, but that looks like a No. 8 to me, 3-14's or possibly 16's, depending on the part of the country it came from. Looks good! That is a plow for an M, drop a bottom for an H. John
Last edited by tinnerjohn on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 am

Great price, but too much plow for a Cub.

The Cub is rated to pull 12" of plow. Even if those were 10" bottoms (which I very much doubt) a Cub won't pull it.

If it were a 2 bottom I'd be trying to find out if it was 12s or 14s, for my H.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Barn1018
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 73801
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub,1958 F cub, 1955 Farmall 100, 1968 Int Cub, 1968 Cub Loboy converted to LowRider Parade Tractor

Postby Barn1018 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am

You should be able to pull it just fine as long as you don't try to put it in the ground! You've got way more plow there than you have tractor.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 am

MiCarl wrote:Great price, but too much plow for a Cub.

The Cub is rated to pull 12" of plow. Even if those were 10" bottoms (which I very much doubt) a Cub won't pull it.

If it were a 2 bottom I'd be trying to find out if it was 12s or 14s, for my H.

The third beam and bottom can come off (at least on the No. 8) and make it a 2 bottom. I can"t find my manual, but the instructions are in it. The only other thing I had to do was readjust the hitch for the line of draft. Don't use baler twine for the trip rope, my son did and degloved the end of a finger when the hitch tripped while he had the rope in his hand. Also, don't tie the rope to the tractor seat, hook it on a soft wire that can bend if you loose the plows. I learned that lesson! John

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm

The plow comes from Northwest Ohio....we are the last county touching Indiana and Michigan in Ohio.

The guy who owns it said it has 2 small worn spots, one on each of the main plows. He thought could be welded easily. I am to look at it today and decide if it would work for me. He even suggested he could possibly deliver it to me. If I don't take it, it is sold anyhow to others who are in line. The guy said the plow was way too large for the Cub Lo Boy, but he understood what I was wanting to do and thought it is something that would work. However, he never had done anything like that with the plow himself. He did not recommend me running several miles as a tow.

By the photos, the plow looks to be in great condition. I did speak with the guy who said he spruced it up to run it through an auction recently. He had 0 bids on it. I thought of the plows I have seen on here and on the net, this looks to be in better condition than many posted.

I was thinking of removing the first and third plow. For the application I am after I want to dig a drain chute open channel that will help with the run off here. I have 2 areas where water collects. If we have 1/2 inch or more of rain these areas stagnate. The ground below is clay with about 2 inches of topsoil. Considering I would have to make maybe 2 passes or 4 over the channel area, I did not think 300 is bad. I would have to pay that to rent a ditch witch or an attachment to the Case skid steer, and would have to wait till the ground hardens up. It is too wet here for running the Case 60XTSkid Steer. Yesterday I finally moved the 3 large piles of brush with the Case Skid Steer, and marked the yard. The brush all moved in one smooth push. In the past I tore up one large section of yard and it took 2 years for the ground to settle and recover. In the area where I want to put the channel, I don't want it torn up that long. We have had an exceptionally wet year in 2019.

Richard

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Update:

I went over to the man's home. The plow was probably 2 feet longer than the Cub Lo Boy I own. As much as I wanted to own it, and told him I would take it if I had a larger tractor. I had to agree with all those who said NO. I turned it down. The plow looked great. The coulters were a bit rough. The body of the plows all had wear marks that would have to be welded. But all the points were in good condition. The iron looked in good shape even though the man bug-bombed the entire thing. I am guessing the plows were 13/14's or larger. The drive wheel and idler wheel were both larger than the front tires of the Cub. The drag wheel was a bit smaller than the front tires. I will still continue to look for a pull type plow for the Cub, but that International 3-bottom was not the one. For anyone thinking it was just tooooo large....You are right it is. Just in case you were wondering if it is for sale, the guy was contacting the next person on the list as I pulled out his drive. It will be gone by today or tomorrow.

Thank you all for offering hope.

Richard

Return to “Farmall Cub”