This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What if....?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Roadroach
10+ Years
10+ Years

What if....?

Postby Roadroach » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:27 am

I'm ready for help on another question. This is about the oil sludge in the valves and the rest of the engine. What if I made sure all the valves were free, took out the sparkplugs, filled the crankcase with kerosene and turned the motor over with say a belt to the front pulley of the tractor hooked to an electric motor. Just running it at a low speed but turning the tractor motor over. Would the oil pump pump the kerosene through the system loosening some of the sludge? Would the kerosene hurt anything in the oil system? Does this make any sense or am I just rambling incoherently?

Thanks, Roadroach

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:53 am

What I do when I buy a Cub with nasty/dirty oil is change the oil & filter with detergent oil. Then I run it for a few hours and change it again. I will change oil & filter 3-or-4 quick changes until oil stays clean and then use 30# which is suitable for the temperatures in my area.
Then came Bronson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:18 pm

I don't think I would run kerosene through the engine in the manner suggested.

John's suggestion is good. There is a product called Resline (spelling) at the auto parts store that will help remove sludge from the engine. Basically it's installed in the engine oil. Operate the engine, change oil and filter several times.

If you are not going to overhaul this engine - I wouldn't pull it any further apart. I would free up any stuck valves. Get the engine running and operate it for several months to see how well it functions - it's over all condition.

This tractor has been sitting for 25 years - for a reason - probably a worn out engine - could be something else. I would pull the engine and do a major overhaul.

My opinion.

Eugene

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:53 pm

The new synthetic oils have a very high detergent action, while expensive, they may do a safe job of cleaning the crankcase and deposits.
IF you use kerosene be sure to remove the pan and wash it out before running the engine, the loosened deposits may plug the screen on the oil pump pickup.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:30 pm

Eugene & Roadroach,

It's called Rislone.

http://www.rislone.com/engine.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:41 pm

putting Seafoam in oil does good at that too.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:14 am

This worked on my totally sludged out Loboy, I filled the engine to the top with gas then cranked it 3-4 times with hand crank (and no coil wire, head or carb) did that 3 times then took off oil pan cleaned out the residue and also totally cleaned out the oil filter cavity and the lifter area with gas. The end result of this some what unconventional method is one very clean engine internally, when I pull the dip stick now the oil is that nice golden honey color :D instead of the black as tar look that I had before the cleaning.

Roadroach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roadroach » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will clean as much gunk as I can out, use the Rislone product, get it running and then reevaluate the situation.

Thanks all.
roach

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:03 pm

I may have really "done the wrong thing", but shortly after I got "Wile E.", my 1952 Cub, I was talking about it witha friend who restores lots of old cars(he has a model A, and some 40's stuff) and he recommended that I drain the oil, put about a galon of kerosene in the sump, start 'im up and run him for about 10 minutes at low engine speed.

Then, of course, stop the engine, drain the kero, and refill with new oil. I did this and I have not see any signs that I did any damage. i guess only time will tell.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:39 pm

When I was much younger I had a Foden Timber Tug with a Gardner 5LW engine in it, (Best long stroke deisel engine ever made!)
When I got it there was solid Gungk everywher I opened up in the engine. I drained about half the engine oil out and replaced it with Deisel fuel and run it tick-over for several hours till it was really hot, quickly drained the hot mixture out and did the same again with new oil and deisel, two goes was enough, clean as a whistle after that and the lovely "golden oil" mentioned above.
Pat

Return to “Farmall Cub”