This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Member New (to me) 61' Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DanTheFireMan
Zip Code: 08302

New Member New (to me) 61' Cub

Postby DanTheFireMan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Hello All,
With the purchase of my new house I was also left a 1961 cub in reasonably good running shape. Has a woods 59 belly mower and I am finding miscellaneous pieces to cultivators all over the farm. The Cub was bought new to the farm and has spent its entire life mowing 3 acres of grass and some light gardening from what I can gather. I enjoy the tractor but have been trying to find a few things to maximize its usefulness to me as Id like to keep it as a functional part of the property. Que you. Id like to keep the belly mower(not terribly fast but leaves a nice cut and is light years faster than my old lawn tractor would have done), Id also like to get a snow plow setup (plow, chains, weights), and the hardest part so far is figuring out a hitch. Ive been reading and reading on the fast hitch setup and as good as it sounds, it seems to fall short. I have actually found someone that has a fast hitch rototiller, but its pricey, and I still need to buy a fast hitch. mostly id like the hitch to move my equipment/ utility trailers around and not have to manually lift them every time i want to move them around the yard. I will be doing some small gardening but probably less than half an acre, so i don't need a ton of implements. I did find this quick hitch setup on Ebay ( https://ebay.us/3w9uuK ) .Im just not sure about all that pressure on the hydraulics thru the rock shaft. Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Member New (to me) 61' Cub

Postby Glen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 am

Hi,
Welcome to the website.
Below is the 1955 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1. It shows how Cubs originally looked in it.
It has more info than the 1959 Cub owner's manual, which is closer to 1961.
They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear case can damage the parts in it.
The lube section begins on page 21.

The transmission can get water in it from rain, or condensation inside it over time.
People write on here that it commonly happens.

The filler plug is on top of the trans, to the rear of the shifter.
The oil level plug is low on the left side of the trans, near the muffler with an underaxle exhaust system.
The drain plug is on the bottom of the trans, visible from under the platform.
The trans holds 3 1/2 Pints of oil, when filled to the level plug hole.

There are also 2 final drives, each with it's own separate oil to check.
The Cub owner's manual shows how to check or change the oils. :)

IH changed and recommended using Hy-Tran fluid in the trans, and final drives in about 1958.
The 1959 manual shows it.

DanTheFireMan

Postby DanTheFireMan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:07 am

Thanks for the great info Glen

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:41 am

Welcome! Glen's got you started on some things.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Now that you have 2 posts, you can access all the free PDF downloads in the Manuals section. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Cub more quickly. Implement Manuals are also available.

Might also enjoy reading through this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home
The lubrication chapter in the Owner's Manual is comprehensive. Try to follow it. Remember, the Cub's PTO turns at engine speed and counterclockwise, opposite of standard PTOs (http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68494).

If you have any questions, let us know. Take some pictures of your tractor and post them. We’d like to see it.

Glad you joined us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:17 am

Don't get in a hurry to start buying attachments for your tractor. Spend some time learning about it and what it is capable of. IH made a full line of direct-attach implements for the Cubs without Fast-Hitch. There are Fast-Hitch versions of many of them. Either version of any of them will probably work better than something attached with the quick-hitch you found on eBay.

Think about what you want to do with it and how you will be using it. A half acre is a lot of garden. The soil type and condition of the garden area has a big influence on what gardening tillage implements you will need. Tell us more about what you want to do and we will give more guidance. There are a lot of past discussions about gardens that you can look at too.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 am

Once you determine what you really need, you shouldn't have any problem finding it in your part of South Jersey. There used to be a guy in Elmer, named Blaze, that had lots of Cubs and Cub implements.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

DanTheFireMan

Postby DanTheFireMan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone. I appreciate it all. I do know of a old tractor place in Elmer so I'm definitely going there. He has a 70ish cub out front so I'm sure he'd have a line on some stuff.

I should clarify a half acre is a long term like maximum garden size. I'll be aiming to start with something like 1/8th or so and grow it as my kids grow to help maintain it. Free labor and all Lol. I'm deep in the searches now getting ready for spring.

Return to “Farmall Cub”