This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Distributor question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
padre
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75683

Distributor question

Postby padre » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 am

I have had a problem over many months with an intermittent "missing" or "sputtering" of my Cub engine. Recently we replace all spark plugs, cleaned up under the distributor cap. I have a relatively new coil. Immediately after spark plug replace the engine was running smoothly even under load.

This morning, it started that "cutting out" but I was able to finish my mowing. In my shop I removed the distributor cap and found lots of dark (as used) oil. I won't say that it was filled, but it was surely saturated. I cleaned it up as best I could (hard to get to with everything else hooked up). It seemed to run a lot better--maybe just a little unevenness. That is where I stopped--it's getting too hot to work outside.

My first question has to do with that oil inside the distributor cap. Where could it be coming from? Should it be there at all?

I thought we had solved this problem with new spark plugs, but this oil troubles me. I will appreciate any helpful comments.

(Waiting for my steering parts.)
1950 IH Cub SN: 118157

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Distributor question

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:30 am

You will need to remove the distributor to find the oil source. Set engine on TDC #1 cylinder.

There is a seal inside the block between the distributor housing and governor idler gear. Bad seal, probable source.

Seal holding back engine oil, check the distributor housing to see if it's been over greased.
I have an excuse. CRS.

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby padre » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks, Eugene. This sounds like it may be beyond my grade level. I will just ask one question for clarification: would this oil in the distributor cap cause the engine to "sputter" or "cut out"?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 am

padre wrote:Would oil in the distributor cap cause the engine to "sputter" or "cut out"?
Yes. Oil will short circuit or partially short circuit the spark. Also foul up the ignition points.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi,
The ignition points may need filing or replacing, if you have not replaced them lately. Burned points can make it run bad, and start harder than normal. They also have to be set to the right gap.

The Cub owner's manual shows how to replace and gap the points.

I don't know if you have a magneto or a Battery Ignition unit. It could have either one.

Below is the 1955 Cub owner's manual, the magneto is shown on page 38, and the Battery Ignition unit on page 41. You can identify which one you have using the pics.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Below are new points and condenser at TM Tractor, you could look at the pic.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

After putting in new points, it needs the ignition timing checked, and set. It can run bad from the timing being wrong.

There is an oil seal at the base of the magneto or Battery Ignition unit, where they bolt to the engine, the seal can leak, then engine oil can get in the magneto, or Battery Ignition unit.

Below are pics.
The 1st pic shows the drive for the magneto or Battery Ignition unit, and the oil seal.
The 2nd pic shows the oil seal, with the governor removed. The drive is part of the gear that runs the governor. :)
Attachments
Cub gov gear.jpg
Cub gov seal.jpg
Cub gov seal.jpg (19.86 KiB) Viewed 725 times

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby padre » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks, Glen. Yes, I have the battery ignition system. The engine has basically been running very good. It was only this morning that I had that old problem. The timing seems to be just right, that's one reason I have some hesitation to "dig in" to the distributor. If I do, I will certainly have to depend on the kind of help I've always found on this forum. The trouble is I don't know of anyone who can work on my tractor. My old friend, Mr. J. B (Jaybird) Hill died several years ago, and I have not been able to get in touch with the last man who did work on my tractor. I'm having to learn to do things I never thought I'd be able to do. It's either keep this Cub running or I will have to buy another tractor. When it is running good this Cub is ideal for the things I need it to do--mowing at the top of the list.

Just to show how limited my knowledge is I will attach a photo. IF I were to try to replace that oil seal, which junction would be the one?

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Take a look at Glen’s post. It shows the spot. But heed the advice about putting it at TDC on number one cylinder on the compression stroke. Then mark the distributor showing the location of the number one tower on the distributor. Then don’t turn engine over till you have it back together. When you install distributor back into slot on governor, verify that rotor is pointing toward mark you made on distributor
Thomas

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi,
It comes off where the bolt with the 9/16" head is in the lower part of your pic above.
There is a nut at the top of the mounting. The nut and the bolt hold the Battery Ignition unit on the engine.
Like was said, the timing can be lost, if you don't remove the unit the right way.
That is to turn the engine to number 1 cylinder TDC before removing the unit.

If you can't replace the oil seal if you took off the unit, then I wouldn't disturb the unit.
The people on here have said they drilled 2 holes in the old seal, at opposite sides of the seal, and screwed in big screws in the holes, then used a pry bar, and worked the seal out of the hole.

The new seal has to be driven in to the right position, facing the right direction.

If there is only a small amount of engine oil coming out, it is not a big problem.
I would look in the unit where the points are and see how it looks, the points may need replacing, if they are burned.

You could do a search at the top of the page for governor gear oil seal replacement, and might find pics. :)

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby padre » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 am

Thanks, Glen. I think you give some good advice as related to my lack of knowledge and experience:

If there is only a small amount of engine oil coming out, it is not a big problem.
I would look in the unit where the points are and see how it looks, the points may need replacing, if they are burned.

This will certainly be my plan in the short term. I just mowed for half an hour this morning and the tractor ran "beautifully." (I had cleaned up the distributor cap yesterday). I am really afraid of "messing with" the timing. I have absolutely no experience of that. As I said in an earlier post, the timing seems to be excellent as it is. I sure wouldn't want to lose that.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded with such helpful posts. I'm just going to take it easy at the moment.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:02 am

Take some time to read a couple threads in the How To Forum on working on a distributor:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=14504
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=20053

The Owner's Manual goes over the procedure for finding top dead center (TDC) of #1 cylinder. You might read through that section, even though it was written with a magneto in mind, much of it pertains to your distributor:
http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Owner's%20Manuals/McCormick%20Farmall%20Cub%20Owner's%20Manual%201950/Page%2032.jpg

Let us know when you have questions...
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby padre » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 am

Thank you, Stanton, those are very helpful links. I will study them as I am in this "carefully waiting" mode. And I will surely ask for help forum as I have done before. This forum has literally kept me and my Cub going and I am grateful. :hattip: :thanx:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:47 am

I know it would be a drive, but your about 6 hours away from Bogalusa, LA, where the Louisiana CubFest is held each March and about 5 hours drive to Dewey, OK, where the NE Oklahoma CubFest is held each April. You wouldn't have to bring your tractor, but just being there, meeting new friends and asking a bunch of basic questions would really benefit you greatly. Each one is a 2-day event, where you could attend on the Friday and part of Saturday morning and have enough time to get back home by Saturday night.

You might seriously consider making plans to attend one or both. You won't be disappointed. Here's a link to the CubFest calaender that is updated each year:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=102673
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby padre » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks, Stanton, for the information and the invitation. These sound like great opportunities. I have noted the places and the dates. Maybe we can make one of them at least. We surely hope we can. :tractor:

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Info on the cub distributor is in the manuals section, it's GSS1012 which you can download and learn just about anything you will need to know about the distributor. Good luck and hope to see you at Bogalousa in March.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

padre
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby padre » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 am

Thanks for the helpful information and the invitation. Would like to make it in March -- Wish it were in Shreveport instead of Bougalousa ! :thanx:

Return to “Farmall Cub”