This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast hitch flail mower question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fast hitch flail mower question

Postby Drfting1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Judging from what I can see in the latest photo, you have very few remaining blades and those that are there are completely worn out. Time for new ones.

Darn.....was hoping to get a couple mows out of it.... Lol
Bill Longeill

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 am

How do you change those out? Are those the rusty remains of bolts I see just beneath each ring? That doesn’t look like a fun job!

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 am

Crimson Tim wrote:How do you change those out? Are those the rusty remains of bolts I see just beneath each ring? That doesn’t look like a fun job!

Pretty much, I haven't tried soaking or breaking free any bolts yet... Waiting to see how good it runs before I get into it, but definitely looks like it's going to be a project.... Should make for a good learning experience like the sickle mower I did last year... Just not looking forward to to the cost of all those new knives :?
Last edited by Drfting1 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Longeill

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:18 am

WOW! I have a belly mounted Mott Flail mower, and only now fully appreciate the knives I have that install with the pin/cotter pin! I cannot imagine try to remove all those nuts/bolts!!

Aside from the cost, I think it will be a test of patience. Suggest you turn that puppy upside down on a raised platform, pull up a comfortable chair, grab a beverage of choice, and take a deep breath before you tackle that job! Good luck...I think you will have a good mower when you are done! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:57 am

Dale Finch wrote:WOW! I have a belly mounted Mott Flail mower, and only now fully appreciate the knives I have that install with the pin/cotter pin! I cannot imagine try to remove all those nuts/bolts!!

Better start soaking them in PB Blaster now so that they will be ready to cut off and replace by spring!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:51 pm

My 6 foot Mott uses those same blades changed them many times over the years,it lets them not only swing back when you hit an object but they can move sideways too. Personally I think the blades wear more on the mounting hole because they do move around more. The nuts are the deformed self locking and yea it's alot of work not to mention you need to use a hammer to tap out that D ring blade holder and do it all over again and align the bolt hole when you go to put them back. The 4 footer on the Cub has the cotter pin mounted ones but one time dad thought it would be nice to convert it over to the other style. Poor thing tried to shake itself to death,even the dealer tried- could never get it balanced right so back to using the pin mount blades.

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:48 pm

[quote="Gary S."]The nuts are the deformed self locking and yea it's alot of work not to mention you need to use a hammer to tap out that D ring blade holder and do it all over again and align the bolt hole when you go to put them back.

Nuts are self locking?? :? Wow do I have a project ahead of me...... Can I just cut them off and put regular bolts with lock washers?
Bill Longeill

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:54 pm

...... Self locking and rusted, just cracked a beer :beer: open and sitting and staring :shock: at it now, trying to comprehend the work I'm going to put in it..... I'm up for the challenge but not looking forward to it (yes I am) lol
Bill Longeill

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'

Postby Gary S. » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Never had any trouble getting the nuts off just alot of work. Did them all by hand back in the day,now I'd try an air ratchet. I'd just go oem they must have had a reason not to use lock washers. Maybe the bolts would need to be longer and there isn't any room? I'll have to go look myself now :wink:

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:13 pm

.... Ok, just experimented on two bolts, nuts break free with a little effort, the bolts are going to be the issue, there stuck in there, think I'll take all the nuts off then re soak bolts tomorrow.

I'll have cub running this week (praying trans and final drive are ok) then have to do a Virginia run mid next week, when I get back I'll start working on the mower and York rake.... Want to have all that in working order to bring down on my following Virginia run
Bill Longeill

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'

Postby Gary S. » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:53 pm

It's been alot of years,40+ since I have had to change any. I think they are a special hardened bolt but they are not at all threaded in. Kind of remember leaving the nut on and applying a hammer,had it there anyway to move the ring clip to release the d ring holding the blades.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Judging from what I can see in the latest photo, you have very few remaining blades and those that are there are completely worn out. Time for new ones.

I agree 100% with Don. You will get no where with what you have. However, if you take a tall cup and mix in about 1/3 cup milk and 1-1/2 cups ice cream and drive around with that mower for a while with the cup in your hand, the vibration should give you a great milk shake to enjoy when your done.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:55 am

Barnyard wrote:

I agree 100% with Don. You will get no where with what you have. However, if you take a tall cup and mix in about 1/3 cup milk and 1-1/2 cups ice cream and drive around with that mower for a while with the cup in your hand, the vibration should give you a great milk shake to enjoy when your done.

LOL! Always wanted one of those.....
Bill Longeill

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:13 am

Barnyard wrote:.... However, if you take a tall cup and mix in about 1/3 cup milk and 1-1/2 cups ice cream and drive around with that mower for a while with the cup in your hand, the vibration should give you a great milk shake to enjoy when your done.

By the time you got it mixed up I don't think you could hit your mouth with your shaking hands and double vision. :lol:

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:31 am

Barnyard wrote:Flailmaster.com

I was going to finally order the new knives for the flail mower, going to need to bring it down to Virginia. But the company according to it's site is currently closed for a business re-organization.
Going to need all new knifes and some rings. Like I mentioned in previous posts, I'm no expert and need little help here. I found these online, would these be the correct ones I'll need? And has anyone used "the farm store" before? Or any suggestions on where would the best place to get them.
Also how common is it to lose knifes.... Should I get extra? Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200303-082222.png
Bill Longeill