This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1947 Cub - Parade Duty Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:02 am

I'm sure that your Cub will be a better tow vehicle than your ATV...HOWEVER, the REAL ISSUE to consider here is WHAT IS THE GROSS, LOADED WEIGHT OF THE PARADE TRAILER GOING TO BE? If you don't know that...you CAN'T know for sure wether or not your Cub will be capable of towing it SAFELY or not! :shock:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

HDMan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HDMan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:47 am

The trailer weighs about 6000 lbs I would guess. It is pretty big. Remember folks, this is a PARADE...I will be going slower than walking speed most of the time. I am going to look at the hill right now as I think my memory is failing me. Others here are saying it is a very gradual grade up and not to worry about it. 4 people can push the trailer, so getting it moving is not the problem.

I am going to have walk-alongs all around the trailer, and we are going to carry chocks. Once I see the grade for myself, if it is very slight like people are telling me, then I will probably use the Cub. If I have to stop on the grade, we will chock the rear tires of the tractor since the float tires are not accessable easily. I will have more data later, once I see the route and I am heading there now.

HDMan
1947 Farmall Cub

HDMan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Route is not good, changing plans

Postby HDMan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:25 pm

OK, I just drove the Parade route in my car. I also called the mfg. of the trailer to get a weight. I was right, this trailer weighs 5000 lbs, and we will have another 1000lbs of weight on it for a total of 6000lbs.

The bad news is that where the parade turns on to the main street from the staging street, it is a decent downhill grade, before a very gradual uphill grade. I do not think I could hold back 3 tons of weight, so what we are going to do is tie surgical tubing from the tractor to a Blazer which will REALLY be pulling the float. The tubing will look like rope, so it will look like the Cub is doing all the work. If we keep our distance constant, I won't have to worry about stretching the tube and whacking my in the back if it snaps. For now, that is the plan. Thanks all for the advice.

HDMan
1947 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:16 pm

sounds like a good move to me. that trialer is approximayely 4 times the weight of a cub. Your plan reminded me ow a parade I saw several years ago. M locla farmaer had taken an old chin and welded the links soldi. he then attached it to the drawbar of his large 4wd tractor and to the back of his 5 years old sons pedal tractor. he then backed the entire parade route supporting the pedal tractor jsut high enogh to clear the ground. mad it look as if the boy was towning the JD then entire route.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!