This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What is leaking here? Steering or... ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06063
Tractors Owned: Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

What is leaking here? Steering or... ?

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 pm

My tractor is leaking pretty good from this area, but I can’t tell if it’s where the steering shaft goes through, or is it more likely to be this housing where it attaches to whatever you call this other thing that the axle attaches to?

https://flic.kr/p/25mDRrP
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What is leaking here? Steering or... ?

Postby Urbish » Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Looks like thin oil leaking out of the seal where the steering shaft goes through into the bolster. Pull the upper of the two small pipe plugs shown in your photo. It is possible that it has been overfilled. Let it run out until it no longer flows from the upper hole. Then it will be at the correct level. If/when you change that oil, put in something thicker like gear oil.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 pm

MikeEyre74 wrote:My tractor is leaking pretty good from this area, but I can’t tell if it’s where the steering shaft goes through, or is it more likely to be this housing where it attaches to whatever you call this other thing that the axle attaches to?

Pull the fill plug (on top) and make sure the vent hole is not plugged. There is a hole in one of the flats where the wrench goes on, that intersects with a hole coming from the bottom inside of the plug. They can get clogged with dirt and grease building up pressure inside the steering housing forcing out lubricant. A small drill bit or a wire can clean them out. Blow some air through from the bottom of the plug. You should be able to feel it on the outside flat.
Frank

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi,
It looks like the oil seal on the steering shaft is leaking. It is a common place that they leak.
TM Tractor has new seals.

The oil in the steering gear has to be at the right level, like was said above. You could change it's oil, if it hasn't been changed lately. The owner's manual tells how.

Also, the vent hole in the oil filler plug, the top plug, needs to be open, so pressure will not build up in the steering gear. Pressure can make oil run out.
Below are pics of the vent holes. You need to take the plug out to clean the holes. The hole goes up from the bottom, part way through the plug, then turns, and goes out through one of the flats for a wrench on the upper part of the plug.
I use small drill bits to clean the holes, use them by hand, no electric drill. Turn the bit in, and it will collect the dirt, then pull it out of the hole, clean it and go in farther, if it won't go in all the way in one try.

You could also check the 5 bolts that hold the steering gear base onto the upper part.
They have to be kept tight. There is a gasket between the 2 castings, oil can leak if the bolts are loose.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, of the steering gear base. You can see where the 5 bolts are in a circle. Sit down in front of the Cub, and they are easy to see.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new seal. You have to remove the steering wheel to replace the seal. The steering wheel can be tight on the shaft, if it hasn't been off lately.
There is a gasket at the part the seal is in, TM Tractor has that too. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/369fp.htm
Attachments
Cub steering gear plug.jpg
Cub steering base 3.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon May 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Unless it's seriously overfilled, I'd start by changing the seal on the steering shaft.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon May 20, 2019 6:03 pm

I suggest you go ahead and drain, then refill the housing with gear oil up to the full level plug (upper small one), because it could be full of water with a small amount of oil on top.

As said above, make sure the vent in the fill plug (large one on top) is clear. Clean up the area, and see if you have further leaking around the shaft, and if so, replace the shaft seal...available from NAPA, and fairly easy to do.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Cubfriend wrote:
MikeEyre74 wrote:My tractor is leaking pretty good from this area, but I can’t tell if it’s where the steering shaft goes through, or is it more likely to be this housing where it attaches to whatever you call this other thing that the axle attaches to?

Pull the fill plug (on top) and make sure the vent hole is not plugged. There is a hole in one of the flats where the wrench goes on, that intersects with a hole coming from the bottom inside of the plug. They can get clogged with dirt and grease building up pressure inside the steering housing forcing out lubricant. A small drill bit or a wire can clean them out. Blow some air through from the bottom of the plug. You should be able to feel it on the outside flat.

:Dito: :Dito:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

MikeEyre74
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06063
Tractors Owned: Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948
Wheel Horse 312-8, 1987

Postby MikeEyre74 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Boy are you guys on the ball! Not only was that vent plug, plugged, but it was also overfilled by a bit. I have just changed the oil probably two weeks ago or so, but when I opened the top fill check plug, I probably got 1/ 16th of a cup extra out of it. But then again, the vent plug was completely jammed up as well. So much so that I never noticed that there was a hole there? It looks like it should be OK now, so I’ll see what happens… But, it was leaking pretty good before so anything is better than that. Thanks!
Standard F-Cub, 1949
John Deere Model A, 1948

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 pm

I had the same issue, somewhere along the line, someone replaced the fill plug on mine with one that didn't have a hole, once it got hot out, couldn't vent and would leak..... I drilled a small hole in it and haven't had an issue since
Bill Longeill

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 pm

Drfting1 wrote:I had the same issue, somewhere along the line, someone replaced the fill plug on mine with one that didn't have a hole, once it got hot out, couldn't vent and would leak..... I drilled a small hole in it and haven't had an issue since

That's probably why mine keeps puking oil out around the steering wheel shaft. Once it gets warm, the grease starts flowing out around the shaft. I've been thinking that I must have really overfilled it last year and have been waiting for it to find it's "happy spot". I'll have go to look at that plug tomorrow while I'm in the shop.

Willy
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Return to “Farmall Cub”