This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Cub Parts Help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BenJack9903
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28152

1948 Cub Parts Help

Postby BenJack9903 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:25 am

I bought a '48 cub that has been converted to a 12 volt system. It's missing items and has scabbed together parts and I'd like to put it back to as close to original as possible. I need a new choke push/pull rod and the switch is a light switch taped to the front. How do I find out what is needed to clean this up?

[image][/img]
Attachments
cub3.jpg
cub3.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 503 times
cub2.jpg
cub2.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 503 times
cub1.jpg
cub1.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1948 Cub Parts Help

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 am

If you click on "TM Tractor" at the bottom of the page , they have a photo gallery. They also sell new parts. For the choke rod, you could place a '''wanted" in the Vine subforum and see if someone has an extra to sell.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue May 07, 2019 8:17 am

Study the switch wiring.
Different ignition types have different wiring.
Early magneto on/off switch had a single terminal. Distributor type on/off switch had two terminals , and ignitions were/could be modified ,coil types changed and require a two terminal switch.

Two types of commercial replacement are common. One similar to stock configuration. (Actually two of those ,single or double terminal.)
And one with a plastic knob that runs about half the cost of the more stock type , again in two choices of configuration.

Your tractor may have been handcrank started early in life negating the need for a choke rod.
Turning the rectangle shaped piece on the outside of the carburetor was within reach from the tractors front.

As Bob mentions , a wanted post in the Vine here could help locate one.viewforum.php?f=223

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 am

the original light switch is still on your tractor

BenJack9903
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby BenJack9903 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:29 am

It's confusing. I know the light switch is on the tractor, but there's a light switch taped to the tractor being used for the ignition switch. I want to do away with that "light switch" and replace it with the appropriate ignition switch.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am

TM Tractor lists a new choke rod for $19.77
Jim

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue May 07, 2019 9:42 am

BenJack9903 wrote:It's confusing. I know the light switch is on the tractor, but there's a light switch taped to the tractor being used for the ignition switch. I want to do away with that "light switch" and replace it with the appropriate ignition switch.

By virtue that your '48 has been converted to a 12V system, it's not original (6V system). Therefore, you'll need to be looking for a 12V switch that fits and works properly (not necessarily authentically). :)

Here's the link to the TM Tractor webpage on switches:
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/el_001Anewparts.htm

Hope this helps.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

BenJack9903
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby BenJack9903 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 am

I think I asked the wrong questions. I go to the sites you guys suggest and I see all the parts. My issue is I'm about as uneducated on this as you can imagine. Where can I get the information concerning which parts I need so I can order the correct parts the first time? Purchase a manual? I'm not sure the manual will tell me about a converted 12 volt system. I'm not trying to be aggravating but I have no knowledge to pull from.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 am

BenJack9903 wrote:I think I asked the wrong questions. I go to the sites you guys suggest and I see all the parts. My issue is I'm about as uneducated on this as you can imagine. Where can I get the information concerning which parts I need so I can order the correct parts the first time? Purchase a manual? I'm not sure the manual will tell me about a converted 12 volt system. I'm not trying to be aggravating but I have no knowledge to pull from.

As simple as a Cub wiring can be...You/a user repairer needs to know what circuit(s) are being used why.

By tracing your wires and identifying what they are connected to , we know if your on/off switch is a kill switch for a stock magneto coil , or if it is being used for something else.

When an ignition system that requires power to the coil from the battery is used , it's different than an early stock magneto system.

Here's some browsing. Maybe something is familiar ,but knowing what you have for components and how they are currently wired will go far in telling what you need.search.php?keywords=Cub+12+volt+conversion

Bonus if your Cub runs already!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 am

If you haven't looked at this post, it might help get you started:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765
Also, whenever I am working on an area of my cubs, e.g. final seal replacements/rebuild, I make sure I have the exploded parts diagrams from the PARTS MANUAL handy, so I can write down what hardware (or part) I need. Then you can go to TM Tractors, NAPA, Steiners, eBay, etc, or post on the VINE, for those parts. Gaskets can be purchased or made, seals and bearings are (mostly) available from your local NAPA store, as are oil filters.

Find the pages for whatever you are working on, make sure they are for your year tractor (it will say by serial number). Parts, Owners, and Service Manuals are available via the PDF link in the upper left corner.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue May 07, 2019 11:17 am

Oh, and keep asking questions...eventually you will get the answer that gets you rolling.

Check out the HOW TO section under BOARD INDEX. It covers most of the common tasks that most owners face...and it makes for interesting reading.

Probably the best advice I could give you is to attend (preferably WITH your tractor) a Cubfest. A great chance to meet some knowledgeable folks who will help you tackle some of those problems you are facing! They are fun, and you would be surprised how much you learn...which will increase your confidence to handle future issues!

I am in Chapel Hill, and will be heading to the Barnyard Bash at the end of the month. You are welcome to come with me and you will be at one of the largest cubfests of the season! There is a POSSIBILITY that we could take your tractor, too!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Tue May 07, 2019 11:29 am

JP Tractor Salvage, one of our sponsors listed on the top, will have used parts and I know they have the choke rod.

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Tue May 07, 2019 11:52 am

Originally your tractor had a magneto ignition. The on/off switch killed the ignition (and shut off the engine) by shorting the coil to ground when in the off position. The magneto may or may not have been replaced as part of a 12V conversion.
THIS LINK is pictures of a magneto at TM Tractor

Note the ignition coil is integrated onto the top of the magneto.

Newer versions of the tractor (and some 12V conversions) will have a battery ignition. On those the ignition switch provides power to the ignition coil. Turning off the switch disconnects the power and the ignition quits working.
THIS LINK is pictures of a distributor for a battery ignition at TM Tractor.

Note that there is no ignition coil pictured. It will be an entirely separate part with it's own mounting bracket.

The switches are different. Identify which ignition you have and we can point you to a switch.

Whichever type you have I suggest a key type switch unless you're determined to make it original. There are many times my tractor ends up somewhere I'd prefer not just any yahoo could start it up.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue May 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi,
Below is the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend that people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1. It has pics of how the Cubs originally looked.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

A 1949 Cub originally came with magneto ignition.
Below are pics from TM Tractor of the original style ignition switch that a Cub with a magneto came with. You push the switch in to stop the engine, and pull it out to run the engine.
It was mounted in the bottom hole on the dash. The owner's manual shows it.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gel ... ng_001.htm

The magneto switch has 1 wire, the switch grounds the magneto to stop the engine. The magneto is not connected to battery power. Don't connect it to battery power, if it has the original style coil, inside the magneto.

Battery Ignition units came out in 1950 on Cubs, yours could have been changed to it.
They use an ignition switch that looked the same as the switch above, but have 2 posts on the rear, instead of 1 post. The Battery Ignition switch has battery power go through it. They use a coil like cars had in the past. There is no Battery Ignition unit info in the 1949 Cub owner's manual. The info is in newer owner's manuals.

The 2 systems have ignition points, they have to be good, so the engine will run good. The points burn from use, and eventually need replacing.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for new points and condenser. There are pics there of the 2 ignition systems, you can identify which it has.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

Below is their listing for a new choke rod.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/934fp.htm

There has to be a choke lever on the carburetor for the choke rod to attach to.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the engine side of the IH carb, showing the lever. It usually has to be in this position when the choke is fully open. It's position is adjustable on the choke shaft.
Be sure the screw in it is tight, and the lever does not slip on the shaft. :)
Attachments
Cub carb.jpg