This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seals.... which direction to put em in?>

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Seals.... which direction to put em in?>

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:33 pm

Ok, this should be so easy that it's not even funny...

I am putting the finishing touches on the final drives (new bearings, races, gaskets, seals and brakes) and I can't be positive of the direction of the seals.
Particularly the top seal for the differential shafts, but all the ones I ordered are the same 'style' . The seals are likely original and look different than the new ones (from IH). So, the question is... does the side with the part number (flat or bottom of the U) go to the 'weather' or the outside?

The PTO had TWO of the newer style seals, but I was told there should only be one. I replaced the bearing and will put that seal in when I put it back together.

I will capture a couple of photos shortly, but thought I would ask first.

Thanks

Larry (sure are a lot of us with Cubs!)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:45 pm

the side with the lip (spring) goes to the oil, and the flat side away from the oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:28 pm

Thanks John.... that is what I thought, but wanted to make sure.
Here is the new one and the old one with the side that is away from the oil, just so folks can see how different they look:

The 'inside' of the seal (towards the oil) is considerably different looking too:

Although they should work as well as the originals, they sure do look less rugged.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:39 am

Hi Buzzard,
My eyes ae not as good as they were a few years ago, looking at a photo, but the seal on the right, could it have been a leather sealing material originaly and the new one is neoprene/rubber/plastic?
But certainly very different in form, I seem to remember that the oilseal in the output shaft of the belt drive on Baby was something like that, when I changed it, and leather, I think :oops: ,
Pat

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:14 am

Pat, I don't have Larry's seals in frot of me, but you are correct, the one on the right would be a leather seal. common in the older models. While they lasted quite well, the were bad to groove a shaft when they got old and hard.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:54 am

I am fairly certain that ALL the seals (except the PTO) are original to this 50 Cub.

Still up in the air about the roughness on the shafts that John mentioned. I think my budget dictates that the seals (and bearings and races) will have to be good enough this time around. There are some decent axles on ebay that end tonight, but the cupboard is pretty bare!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:16 pm

Now BW I know that we covered this at the minifest. Gotya

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:14 pm

The thing about Cub oil seals on the tranny is that they are not like modern seals which hold oil in at high temps and turning stresses.
When I first started with Baby, Big Dog kindly helped me with the draining of the oily treakly gunk in the back axle that was spilling out through the axle seals.
His remark was that of course the oil seals are only protection against splash, they are not designed to keep a reserve of liquid inside a case. In fact the driveshafts were quite worn where the oilseal rubbed and I feared that Baby would be crying EP90 all over the place, NOT A DROP once new oil at the right level was installed! Aren't Cubs just clever big hearted creatures?
Well that'l do I think, said too much already
Pat

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:03 pm

Yep Cecil... you may have got me. If even a reasonable portion of what I have learned along the line stuck I would be a pretty smart feller! In a way it is like directions... if I have driven there I can usually find it again, but if you told me the directions I will be in trouble after the second or third turn. So my excuse is that I didn't put the seal on or possibly I was in awe of the flora growing in your boat at the time?

Now if I can only figure out what stuff comes out of the right hand inside axle cover so I can put the new seal in. Anybody know if the felt stays??

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter
Circle of Safety: Y

seals and directions

Postby brichter » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:15 pm

I have listened to the old millwrights where I worked argue for years on this subject. Does the lip face in to hold oil or out to keep out dust and dirt? The lip faces in to contain oil or lubricants. If you have a groove or a rough spot on the shaft, there is a product called a speedi-sleeve which will fit over the rough spot and give the seal a smooth surface to run on. When I first started getting them in at the mill, the old timers didn't trust them at all but after using a few and saving lots of work they really got into using them. They are lifesavers in certain situations and really save money.

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: seals and directions

Postby sviennadan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:35 pm

brichter wrote:I have listened to the old millwrights where I worked argue for years on this subject. Does the lip face in to hold oil or out to keep out dust and dirt? The lip faces in to contain oil or lubricants. If you have a groove or a rough spot on the shaft, there is a product called a speedi-sleeve which will fit over the rough spot and give the seal a smooth surface to run on. When I first started getting them in at the mill, the old timers didn't trust them at all but after using a few and saving lots of work they really got into using them. They are lifesavers in certain situations and really save money.

Where can you find speedi-sleeves?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:05 pm

Most auto real parts stores have or can get them. they will need the number ofr the sela you are repalicng ot ge tthe correct sleeve and seal.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:20 pm

Did a google search on it and it looks like the perfect thing for some of the shafts like differential and axles that were worn a bit from the rawhide seals.

Made by CR (one of the bigger seal makers, Chicago Rawhide, in the old days... like when my Cub was made.) Now apparently CR is owned by SKF.

http://www2.vsm.skf.com/Files/Product_F ... 457892.pdf

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/PDF/Spe ... on_50A.pdf

Thanks for the tip sviennadan!

!