This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor stopped working!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86022
Tractors Owned: 47 Farm all cub

Re: Governor stopped working!

Postby 47lincsled » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 am

I wasn't aware there were two different clutches and even less aware that they were interchangeable.Why would they bother to offer both versions on ebay then? I guess I'll just buy what ever is cheapest when the time comes!
Do they use the same throw out bearing? Mine is making a racket now and then so it will need replacing when I do the clutch,not that I would go through the trouble of breaking the tractor down and not replacing it,I would just like to get the right part the first time!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 am

Hi,
The 2 clutches use the same throwout bearing.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:29 am

47lincsled wrote:I wasn't aware there were two different clutches and even less aware that they were interchangeable.Why would they bother to offer both versions on ebay then?
Maybe one of the companies couldn't supply the quantity needed by IH?
47lincsled wrote:I guess I'll just buy what ever is cheapest when the time comes!
I would recommend weighing cost, quality, and the ability to return defective items. Because if I have to take it apart a second time because a casting broke on one of the finger mounts after it was installed, I want to be able to slam that broken part onto some bodies counter! (Yes, BTDT!)
47lincsled wrote:Do they use the same throw out bearing? Mine is making a racket now and then so it will need replacing when I do the clutch,not that I would go through the trouble of breaking the tractor down and not replacing it,I would just like to get the right part the first time!
I think it has already been suggested, but if it's making a racket when you press the clutch then the most likely cause is misadjusted fingers and pedal free play, not a bad clutch. Verify your TOB looks like or close to the one pictured as far as graphite area, then make the adjustments before splitting the tractor and replacing parts. That's a whole lot cheaper!

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:11 pm

The throw out bearing just squeals when I push the clutch in,but if it's not a normal roller bearing I'm not sure what I am hearing,unless it's wore out to steel! I've done plenty of car and truck clutches in the past but never a tractor,I've even done some where you have to adjust the fingers!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Make sure you thoroughly grease the throw out bearing with the cheapest crap grease you can find. Swipe some on the graphite face of the bearing as well. Look for chips or a rough surface on the throw out bearing. All can be done through the hand hole in the bellcover.
Jim

Circle of Safety

47lincsled
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47lincsled » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:25 pm

I was finally able to get out to the tractor this afternoon, I pulled the carb off and removed the new throttle shaft that came with the rebuild kit,I compared it to the old one and it was about 20 degrees off! I swapped the original shaft back in and it idled perfect,the new shaft wouldn't let the butterfly close all the way so the RPMs were too high.
Thanks for all you help guys!.

Return to “Farmall Cub”