This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No juice to starter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Redclip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44423
Tractors Owned: 1976 Cub

No juice to starter

Postby Redclip » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:04 pm

I stalled my 76 Cub today, and when I turned the key to restart I got- nothing, not even a click. So I cleaned all the battery cables connections, still nothing. I ran a jumper cable from the battery to the starter, and it turned the engine just fine, but it wouldn't start. What should I check next?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: No juice to starter

Postby tst » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:28 pm

that year has a clutch safety switch if its hooked up, also there is a metal rod that pushes the button on the switch make sure they are working or bypassed

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Use the jumper to turn the engine again. This time check for ignition spark. My guess is there will be none. If there isn't you probably have a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the ignition switch. Power has to reach the ignition switch for both turning over and ignition. Narrow down the problem with a multimeter.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 pm

All of the above ideas. There is probably a switch magnetic, (solenoid), involved with the clutch safety switch.

You will need the correct wiring diagram for the tractor to find the fault. - - - - And then figure out any "farmer fixes".
I have an excuse. CRS.

Redclip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44423
Tractors Owned: 1976 Cub

Postby Redclip » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:09 pm

It was a wire that got pulled loose from the clutch safety switch, from running over some brush in the woods. The wiring diagram calls this a "starting switch", and the key switch is referred to as the "battery ignition switch". Kind of confusing. The previous owner had removed the part that the clutch pedal moved. I'm guessing that this safety feature wasn't very popular.