This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magneto adjustment??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:46 am

Well, John, I'm really confused now. The problem then seems to be in the mag. The pic you showed me is the exact position of the governor on my Cub... exactly where it should be so now I'm confident that everything's in order there. When the mag is set to trip (resistance is felt), the coupler on it is almost horizontal so you see my problem.

So... it seems as though something on the mag was not put together correctly. I know that it can't be the rotor gears because the drive gear is on a cam. No matter how much you adjust the rotor gear, the drive gear never changes.

I took the mag apart last night. On the coupler side, all keys are in the right place but I did not truly dissassemble the whole thing. I'm now wondering if there's a way to change how the coupler mounts on the axle. I need to adjust how that cam positions. Reading the Blue Ribbon Service Manual GSS-5035 it does appear that the cam can be adjusted.

My temporary solution has been to do as I did last year. Rotate the governor gear until it lines up with the mag.

The one good thing that's come out of all of this is now my mag finally "clicks" when it rotates.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:31 am

Playing with the rotor timing won't in any way affect the opening and closing of the points and therefore no affect on advance. Some pullers may not be as good at what they do as others are. Some people think the Earth is flat too. :P
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:56 pm

That Dog Is not going to hunt> Believe Me I have rebuilt 100s of these mags your barking up the wrong tree unless someone has done something with your mag to change it like used wrong parts or something. I live in NY also if you want me to check it out for you let me know. But You are not going to want to change the rotor or the Cam on the internal rotor becuase thats not going to fix your problem.
JON

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:04 pm

Mag Man wrote:That Dog Is not going to hunt> Believe Me I have rebuilt 100s of these mags your barking up the wrong tree unless someone has done something with your mag to change it like used wrong parts or something. I live in NY also if you want me to check it out for you let me know. But You are not going to want to change the rotor or the Cam on the internal rotor becuase thats not going to fix your problem.
JON

Agreed :!:
8)

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:37 pm

Yes, you are all right (of course). I took her apart again tonight. Someone must have made a change to it because the impulse coupling trips at exactly horizontal. Soooo... I've adjusted the governor to compensate. Spark at TDC now. Sure would love to know what the problem is but I'm content with a nice hot spark where it should be.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:08 am

Been thinking about the magneto problem for a while - mostly at work. Came to the conclusion - have the magneto repaired.

In a recent post you said the impulse coupling final started working (mag finally clicks). Exchange with Mag Man or have him repair yours.

Eugene

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Thanks Eugene,

Been actually thinkng of doing this for some time because I'd like to turn the trac back to original mag ignition. Don't know why of course, just think it's neat.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub