This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Who made the red oxide primed battery box?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Who made the red oxide primed battery box?

Postby w30bob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:23 am

Hi Guys,

Anybody know who specifically made the repro Cub battery boxes that came painted red oxide primer? Reason I ask is I picked one up recently from a guy who didn't know what it fit and had no info on it other than it was a repro. I looked it over carefully and am amazed at what a good reproduction it is. I'd say it's perfect except for one small give-away. The person who made it drilled (not die stamped) the holes in the box floor AFTER that panel was pressed into shape. Doing so makes the side edges of the holes not perfectly straight, as the bit is going thru a complex shape and not a flat piece of metal. But other than that the shape, gauge of metal, floor stamping, spot welds, heavy gauge rear light bracket.......it's all spot on. I looked on Ebay for similar boxes and found some for other Farmalls that were in red oxide. All were said to be excellent, but no longer produced and made in the USA.....so I'm guessing were made by the same guy/company. So I'm just wondering who made these boxes. Anybody know?

thanks,
bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Who made the red oxide primed battery box?

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 am

Possibly Norm Quay.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi Barnyard,

Certainly could be, but I found some differences though. I found the post entitled "Norm Quay battery box arrived today" and read thru it. Seems the Quay boxes came unpainted inside, but mine is primed both inside and out. It also said the Quay boxes were a bit taller than OEM, and mine is the same height as OEM. Maybe Norm painted the inside and got the height right toward the end of his production. I also pulled out an original box and did a side by side comparison......then took out my metal thickness gage and ruler. The panel that forms the 3 sides is spot on in thickness, height and corner bend radius. But what is wrong is the depth of the box, front to back. My repop is a tad shorter front to back than the original, 1/4" to be exact. Same goes for the floor panel, as it's also 1/4" shorter. That keeps the relationship between the sides and floor the same, so just looking at this box by itself you wouldn't notice it was shorter. Also, on the floor panel the metal gage is a little light compared to the original. Hard to find a nice clean edge to measure on either, but you can tell by eye the OEM box has a thicker gauge floor than the walls. On this repro they appear to be the same gage. Also, the 4 large holes in the floor of the repro are smaller than OEM. That's good, because I can stamp those the correct size, but they're wrong. The 4 smaller holes are the same size. The last wrong detail is the size of the hole in the bracket on the rear of the box for the lid retaining bolt. On the repro the hole is noticeably bigger than OEM. Seems odd they'd screw that one up.

These are certainly all niggling little details, as from a foot away it looks like an original box. But they are mistakes......and I never understand why when someone or some company puts forth the effort to reproduce something (and get it this close) they don't do it 100% right. I mean they took the time to put the spot welds in the exact same location as the OEM box.........but made the whole thing 1/4" shorter. Someone needs to be shot. (just kidding....please don't shoot the guy who made this, if you know who he is)

regards,
bob

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:41 pm

There was a company called OEM (or close to that) that went out of business that made and sold high quality repro IH stuff.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 pm

The recent one I got from TM tractors was like that. Very heavy gauge. Post a picture of the hardware. The one I got from TM the hardware was much heavier gauage than I have been.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Return to “Farmall Cub”