This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dterhaar2000
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47330
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub

carb

Postby dterhaar2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 pm

I bought a 52' cub about two weeks ago. It ran ok but needed a head gasket, when I got the head gasket I went ahead a bought a new carb. The carb I bought matched the one I had perfectly. I put the carb on and it ran really good. Now it wont start and gas is dripping from the carb very steady. Is there something i'm missing or forgot to do? I drained the gas and put fresh in, hooked choke and throttle rods up how they were, and put a new fuel filter on. Help is greatly appreciated. thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: carb

Postby Slim140 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Probably need to adjust the float. Is it a Chinese carb or an IH carb?
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Welcome!

Sounds like you have it flooded and/or the float is not causing the needle valve to close off fuel flow to the carb.

There are several fuel and carb-related threads in the How To Forum, located here:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=139

When you have some time, read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

After your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the free PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Cub more quickly. Implement Manuals are also available.

Might also enjoy reading through this thread: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them. We’d like to see it.

Glad you joined us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Common problem with the Chinese knock-off carbs. Use these dimensions to check/set the float height.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi,
The needle and seat might have dirt in them, and not seal, causing the dripping. You have to take the top off of the carburetor to clean the needle and seat.

Here is info for setting the float height, and float drop, for the IH carburetor, and removing the top half of the carb.

The IH carburetor is easy to work on.
The top half has to be taken off the carb to set the float level.
When taking the top half off the carb, pull it straight off the bottom half 3 or 4 inches, there is a small idle tube that is screwed into the top half, that sticks down into the bottom half. If you twist the halves, or strain the tube too much, it can break off. Then you have to buy a new tube and repair that.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual, showing the float level, and float drop for the IH carburetor, in the upper pics. It should be set to exactly the specs shown.
The top half has to be removed from the carb, and turned upside down, like the pic of the Zenith carb, on the lower right of the page.
Bend the float arm, between the float and the pivot to change the float height, but not right where the end of the needle touches it.
Be sure to use the specs for the IH carb. Don posted them above also.

Turn the top half right side up to set the float drop.
The tab on the float is for the float drop, it stops the float from dropping too far. Bend the tab to change the float drop.
You need a measure with 32nds of an inch markings.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

The IH carb float level is measured without the gasket between the halves in place.
People have posted on here that their carbs would not work right, until they set the float level exactly.
Tighten the screws and everything on the carb gently, the metal is soft, and the threads can strip. :)

dterhaar2000
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dterhaar2000 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 pm

I took the carb off and it had a bunch of rust from the air cleaner in it, I cleaned the air cleaner but there is no oil in it for the oil bath. Can I pour some in or does it have to come from the engine?, there is a tube coming from the block to the air cleaner.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:55 pm

You should add oil up to the seam in the air cleaner cup. The vent tube often gets clogged up, so it's a good idea to remove it and see if it's open. String trimmer works good to clear it out.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:You should add oil up to the seam in the air cleaner cup. The vent tube often gets clogged up, so it's a good idea to remove it and see if it's open. String trimmer works good to clear it out.

Just to clarify, I believe the "seam" Bob mentioned is the beaded ring around the cup below the upper edge, not all the way to the top.
20181230_171819 (Small).jpg

20181230_172616 (Small).jpg
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi,
Below is the 1955 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend reading it, it has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The manual shows cleaning the air cleaner on page 36.
The air cleaner needs removing from the tractor, and washing out with kerosene to clean it after the number of hours shown in the manual.
The inner material does not come out of it, I pour in some kerosene, with it upside down, and put the oil cup on it, without any oil in it, and shake it to wash the inside. Turn it different positions and shake it. Then remove the oil cup, and dump out the kerosene. If you dump it into a clean oil drain pan, you can see what was in the air cleaner. If it was dirty, repeat rinsing it.
The kerosene will probably run out the connection for the hose to the carburetor with the air cleaner upside down. Plug the connection with duct tape, or something during the rinsing.

This manual has the same electrical system info as a 1952 Cub would have originally come with, the 6 volt, positive ground system.
The Fast Hitch shown in it was available starting in late 1954.
There is a 1952 Cub owner's manual at the top of the page, at Quick links, then go to PDF Manuals.
I can't post a link to it here.

There are 3 gear housings in the rear of a Cub that need the oils checked, or changed, if they haven't been changed lately. Using the Cub with low oil can damage the parts in the housings.
They are the transmission, and 2 final drives. Each has a separate oil to check.
The transmission can get water in it, from rain, or condensation inside the case, over time.
The owner's manual shows where the oil plugs are, and how to change the oils.
There are other oils also to check and change. :)

ShawnAgne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Front/Rear Weights
1955 Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"
1955 Farmall 100 (Thomas)
12V with Petronix
Woods L59 60"
A60 Leveling Blade
Front/Rear Weights

Postby ShawnAgne » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:42 pm

My 300 started doing exactly what you are describing this past early summer. Needle was stuck and it was flooding. When I got a new rebuild kit fixed all the issues.
Shawn Agne

dterhaar2000
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dterhaar2000 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 pm

:lost: I put oil in the oil bath. I still cant get it to start. I took the carb back off, opened it, float was good and not stuck, so I cleaned it anyway. Its still flooding out. I put the original carb back on and its doing the same thing still. What am I missing? its getting frustrating.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Did you remove the needle valve to make sure there was no debris in the seat? When you remove the float to check the needle valve, dip the float in hot water; if you see a bubble stream the float is leaking. Did you adjust the float height and drop and make sure the float was centered in the bowl?
-Albert Einstein

dterhaar2000
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby dterhaar2000 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 pm

yeah, its centered. I didn't take the needle valve out. It doesn't seem to be flooding as bad however, it still won't start. The plugs are getting spark, its getting fuel, it sucks on my hand if I cover the carb with my hand. I'm not sure what else to try. Could the carb still be at fault or can it be something else?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Have you removed the main jet on the old carb and run a thin copper wire through it to make sure it's clean? Try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake with the gas shut off. If the tractor starts, it's probably fuel, if not, electrical (points, condensor, plugs, firing order, etc. Are you sure the new fuel filter is for a gravity fed fuel supply (like a lawn mower) and not for a fuel pump system?
Flooding is caused either by the needle valve not seating and sealing, or a problem with the float.
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi,
The new carburetor might have dirt in the needle and seat, making the needle valve not seal, and drip on the ground. Even a tiny piece of dirt will keep it from sealing.
I would take the needle valve out of the seat, and look at it, see if it looks normal, no scratches on the pointed end, and clean it with carburetor cleaner, if dirty, and a clean cloth.

Look in the seat also with a light. Clean down in the seat, with carburetor cleaner, if dirty, and a clean cloth pushed in with a Q Tip or something that will not scratch the seat.

The needle and seat wear after years of use, then they don't seal anymore and the carb drips on the ground when the Cub is sitting. Check the pointed end for wear, the new one won't be worn, but the old one could be. They need replacing when worn and leaking.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new needle and seat, you can see what it looks like there. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/5183fp.htm

A Cub will usually drip some gas on the ground out of the drip hole under the carb, after you try to start it, turning the engine several times, and it doesn't start. It should stop dripping soon though, if you don't turn the engine more. It is an updraft carb, that it how they work.

Return to “Farmall Cub”