This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

We Have Ignition

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

We Have Ignition

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:08 pm

Woooo HOOoo the 49 is running again! Just a couple adjustments and I think she will be good to go. Couple questions number one the kill switch will not kill the engine? And two the hydraulics pull down the engine so badly it almost kills it before govenor kicks in what do I need to do? Thanks again Alan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:43 pm

Did some serching on the kill switch think I will try scraping some paint under the switch see if I have a bad ground. Switch was working when the tractor was last running 3 years ago. so switch may be bad also we'll see.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:06 pm

Did you put an alternator on the tractor? If so it is back-feeding the coil and causing the tractor to ontinue to run. You will need a diode. If this is the case I can give more details.

Did you adjust the carb to govenor linkage? That may cause the delayed reaction.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1411%20Service%20Manual%20for%20Cubs%20and%20Lo-boy%20Tractors/Section%202%20-%20Fuel%20System/Page%2002-18.jpg

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1411%20Service%20Manual%20for%20Cubs%20and%20Lo-boy%20Tractors/Section%202%20-%20Fuel%20System/Page%2002-19.jpg
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:26 pm

I fixed kill switch bad ground. Then I rook her out for a little spin worked well backed into garage only ti find oil dripping from the flyweel inspection cover :cry: Thinking it must be the rear main :evil: so looks like i get to split the tractor again!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:22 pm

Danile, I beleive from an earlier post he has a magneto, so it doesn't wire back to the elcetrical system.

alan, there is a problem that the seals for the rear main are smaller than what was used originally. to prevent them from spinning in the retainer you need to use something to seat them, such as a weather strip glue ( for rubber coated seal) or Locltite (for metal shell ones), followed by maybe staking it in place using a center punch. New retainers sized for current sized seas are available, but cost about 100. Another option is to take the retainer to a machine shop and have them cut it out for a different seal.

The governor lag is most likely play in the cross shaft that runs acorss the radiator to the governor. there is a known porblem with the shaft and the keyway wearing and allowing play there. It can be fixed by a combination of making a shim for the shaft, and or using loctite. some epople use JB Weld. Remove the bolts on the carb side of the shaft, and the suspected part just pulls out of the governor.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”