This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Generator question

Postby Slappy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:40 pm

For starters I'll admit up front that I am almost wholly ignorant of generator systems. I have been trying to learn a bit more and have closely followed the discussions on going here. From these posts, I suspect that I need to repolarize my generator.

I have a '57 Cub, 6V, positive ground - but when I bought it, it had a 12V battery with the negative terminal grounded. I put a 6V battery in (positive grounded), but the amp meter has always shown a discharge when the tractor is running (zero when the tractor is off).

I know that I will need to take a jumper wire and momentarily touch it to the "Batt" and "Gen" terminals on the regulator to reset the magnetic polarization. Here are my questions.

1) My regulator has three spade connectors, but unlike the picture in my parts book, two sit on one side and the third is on the opposing side. Will I recognise the 'Batt" and "Gen" terminals if I open it up or can I tell from the wiring?

2) Can I repolarize the generator without removing the hood?

Thanks!
A kick in the pants is still a step forward.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:53 pm

Slappy, If memory serves, the Batt and Gen terminals are the center one and the one on the side by itself. In either case, the terminal should be marked. Look between where the screw is and the regulator housing just where the terminal lug exits the regulator. I think on that one you can polarize without removing the hood.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jack » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 pm

On my 1956 I had to do the samrthing and my amp meter never showed charge. I took a jumper wire to the center post of the reg. which is batt. and my gen post is on the bottom of the regulator. after i did that if showed charging
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”