This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Carb Question

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:56 am

I bought a new zenith carb for the 49. The cub orig. had the IH carb on it but it was beyond repair. So I went with the newer zenith carb which I got from my local Case dealer. My question is do I need to do any adjusting to it before I try starting the cub? Thanks for any replies.
Alan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 am

Mainly make sure the rod running from the governor to the carb isn't binding on the side of the block flange at front. That seems to be a common problem when making the conversion. Other than that warm it up and asjust idle mix and idle speed screw.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:05 am

Alan:

Hope you didn't throw out the IH.... Maybe BuzzardWing could use it for his partially eaten one...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:17 am

Unless the IH carb was deliberately destroyed it would be useful to one of us for parts or rebuilding. I'm working through a pile of six hopeless ones right now. Please don't throw it out!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:00 am

George:

Larry's quandry with the vinegar eaten carb has me thinkin.

There are probably a lot of IH carbs that could be rejuvenated if the owners had access to parts from other carbs that are equally useful -- as in other words - junk unless suitable replacement parts can be found.

I am just wondering if maybe a sticky or a page on the Cub Manual Server with a list of stuff needed, stuff had etc., could be put together and maybe everybody could sort of help each other out.... :?:

I would be willing to do the sticky/server work... what do you think :?:

Anybody else got partially junk carbs that would be interested in doing this???
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:12 am

Rudi, members can use the for sale / wanted forum to post the need for or availability of parts.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:00 pm

BigDog:

You're right about that, of course, but I think most of us would hesitate to post "partially eaten" carburetors etc for sale. if there was a separate spot for "stuff I think is junk but might help somebody else", I would use it.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 pm

Stuff doesn't necessarily need to be for sale. Could be offered for free. It is also a proper place to post needs for such things. Much like the freecycle lists where folks offer un-needed items for free rather than tossing them into landfills.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:47 pm

Again, you're right-but the list IS called "For Sale/Wanted". :?
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."

'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:08 pm

awander wrote:Again, you're right-but the list IS called "For Sale/Wanted". :?

Think of it this way: For sale... $0.00. Shipping only.
George Willer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:09 pm

Guys:

Yup, I know that... but there is a built in problem there :? . After 14 days the posts are auto dumped. Sooo, in 3 weeks from time of creation, it is no longer there and somebody with a need, doesn't get to see it...... The suggestion was meant not only as a half formed idea, but more as a question as to would others consider supplying the info on what they have.. primarily for the carbs... in fact probably just for the carbs. We know how difficult it can be to locate parts, a lot of pieces are NLA, and finding say a parts carb can be daunting to say the least.

George blew me away with the quantity of carbs in varying states of junkness :shock: :shock: , and then this thought hit me :idea: :!: :arrow: . I have been talking to just about everybody I know who might have or know where a parts carb can be found to help Larry out. So far no luck :roll: :(

Let's just say it is an :idea: :!: I would like this info to be easily accessible and updateable. I can do that simply with the server and it is there for everybody to see. Basically I guess, I should have just asked the question thusly...

For those who have semi or almost junkable IH 3/4" Updraft Carbs - would you be willing to list what useable parts you have so that other members as well as yourself can search for the pieces you are missing to complete a few salvageable carbs.... or something like that.. Instead of tossing it in the trash, which in my mind is a terrible waste. Remember, what is usually one man's junk, is another man's treasure...

If the answers are yes, then I would be willing to do this.

You're right about that, of course, but I think most of us would hesitate to post "partially eaten" carburetors etc for sale. if there was a separate spot for "stuff I think is junk but might help somebody else", I would use it.

That is one of the reasons why the For Sale/Wanted Forum is not appropriate.

I am just wondering if maybe a sticky or a page on the Cub Manual Server with a list of stuff needed, stuff had etc., could be put together and maybe everybody could sort of help each other out....

Stuff doesn't necessarily need to be for sale. Could be offered for free. It is also a proper place to post needs for such things. Much like the freecycle lists where folks offer un-needed items for free rather than tossing them into landfills.

This is why it would be appropriate to have such a list. And again, let me clarify - it would be off-site - probably on the Cub Manual Server, which would be entirely appropriate.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:43 pm

George blew me away with the quantity of carbs in varying states of junkness , and then this thought hit me . I have been talking to just about everybody I know who might have or know where a parts carb can be found to help Larry out. So far no luck

Rudi,

Lest you think this is a mother lode of surplus IH carbs, some of these are from restored tractors. A couple have major problems that I hope to resolve for spares, such as stripped threads, broken off idle tubes, or twisted off main jets. While I'm at it, I plan to try to make them look nice like Donny does.

I'm thinking about adding a couple more to the production line before I go further.

In the right hand upper corner is a glimpse of the jig I made to hold the throttle bodies so they can be straightened in the press. The jig substitutes for the bowl to make it sit flat in the press.
George Willer

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Dont worry George I am not throwing out my old IH carb. Im keeping incase I need it for parts for the next project or otherfuture projects.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:55 pm

Oh my little mad scientist experiment isn't a secret. I figured if I stuffed it in a box and hid it from myself that not only I would forget about it, but so would everyone else!

At any rate I bit the bullet and bought one on ebay a couple of months ago. I haven't even cracked it open yet. I made a shiny new fuel line for it and installed it on the Cub long enough to listen for noises, run the PTO and generally get an idea of what I had to work on. Then I took it off and also packed it in a box while I tend to the final drives, transmission, PTO and TC.

The carb may be salvagable, but my fix with JB Weld is embarrasing..... the float pin ears are somewhat critical. So, I am hoping one day I will try again to fix it. The bottom is good as are the other parts from what I can tell. Although it was leaking fuel like crazy, so the float may be no good, but I suspect it is just the valve that comes with the rebuild kit. Suppose I may find something amiss with the one I bought too, so I may end up needing some of the parts.

I do like the idea of sharing excess stuff (freecycle is awesome, but nobody wanted my old truck camper). The good thing is that board members are ALWAYS great about sharing. Someone sent me a plug wire when I cut one too short (was OK, but not in the ring on the head). I also got a new set of front tires at a good price from a member that wanted turf tires instead of 3 rib.

Rudi is on to something, but I am not sure the best way to go about it. Just from my experience that folks will help out based on a post on a problem.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:50 am

Rudi: I like your idea of a separate section to list exchange of carb parts. I hope other forum members will post favorable comments and that your idea will become a reality. Dan