This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

100 manure spreader help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Smartsquared
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 59825

100 manure spreader help

Postby Smartsquared » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello Gents (and other ladies?)
I have an old 100 spreader that worked fine until I was spreading manure through our pine forest and caught the chain on a small stump. It broke one link and bent a cross link. I know parts can be tough to find for these - especially for the funky chain. Bob, I saw in a different point you said you had a source for the S links and cross links. Would you be so kind as to share that source?

I am going into this fix it project pretty blind with only YouTube and forum help to try and figure out how to fix the chain. So ... I may have a million questions once I dive into it. Any tips or hints?
Thanks,
Nicole

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BSR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 100 manure spreader help

Postby BSR » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Smartsquared PM me if you need parts,I have a 2 parts spreaders.

Smartsquared
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smartsquared » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Super! I think 1 link and 1 crossbar will do but I'll PM you in the next few weeks once I take a closer look and figure out exactly what I need. Thanks!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Nicole, I've gotten new links from the Moreta Co. in Greeley, CO. 1-970-351-6400 At the front of the spreader there is a chain tightener on either side. You'll need to loosen those. The links have to be turned almost 90* for the flat part to slide into the loop (pound in with a hammer). If the chain broke on top, you can pull several crossbars closer together to give you the slack needed to remove and replace links.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Smartsquared
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smartsquared » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 pm

ThanKs for the contact and tips Bob! In seeing all the old posts I'm inspired now to embarK on a complete restoration project but I thinK my husband would divorce me. :)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:12 pm

FYI, They are called an "S" link, only used by IH. The cross links come in a right and left. Manuals are available by clicking on "quick links" upper left, then "PDF Manuals", then "Cub attachments.
-Albert Einstein

Smartsquared
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smartsquared » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks - I do have the manuals and knew the S links were only made by IH and long out of production but I didn't realize that there were right and left cross links. That makes sense, though. If I am only short 1 broken link and the cross bars are OK, could I possibly just take a good link out of the other side and then reconnect both sides so the whole chain would be 1 link shorter? It seems like there was plenty of chain that hung way down (I probably needed to adjust the tensioner) below the bed.
Nicole

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:04 pm

When you say it broke one link and bent a cross link, do you mean it bent the angle iron between the two sides, or two links on one side? If you can stretch the chain tight enough, your plan would probably work.
-Albert Einstein

Smartsquared
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Smartsquared » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 pm

It broke one link and bent the angle iron between two cross links which are still fine. I think our horseshoer can get the angle iron straightened out which would just leave the broken link to deal with.

Return to “Farmall Cub”