This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Draining coolant from steering housing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Draining coolant from steering housing

Postby David » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:57 pm

Quick question, in order to drain the coolant that is left in the steering gear housing (after removing the radiator), which plug do I remove. There is one on the bottom of the steering housing, and there are two on the right hand side of the engine. They are all seized and rounded, so I really want to spend my time removing the correct plug. Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:27 pm

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/

Go to Cub Owner's Manual, then to page 26.

The radiator drain in centered on the bottom of the housing - straight down from center of the radiator.

Eugene

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:19 pm

The plugs over there are for the steering gear....

It would be worth your time to get one of the lower ones out. The BIG plug on top is the filler hole. On the rear facing side, the higher one is the fill level and the lower plug is the drain. You are going to need to eventually get the plugs out, but if you have any water in there there is a possiblity it could freeze over the winter. Mine had a lot of water in it.

I still haven't gotten the radiator drain plug out yet, but it is drilled out and hopefully the Kroil or heat will eventually get it.

I would guess that you could apply heat to the steering gear plugs, but like I found with the radiator.... that liquid is a heat sink. Also it would likely ruin the seal, but it isn't too expensive if I recall (and readily available).

That is a pretty tough area to work too, but you can pretty easily remove the steering shaft and that gives you a lot more room.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby David » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. Great advice!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:09 pm

Oh yeah, I had to remove my radiator the same way you did... pretty messy propositon! If I have the same problem again I will poke a hole in the lower hose to drain most of it!
I can't tell you how much time I spent on that plug.... and it's still not out!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”