Carburetor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom S.
Zip Code: 84015
Tractors Owned: 1968 International Cub Lo-Boy

Carburetor

Postby Tom S. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Hay y’all
It’s been a while since I’ve logged on here, sorry for my absence. I had to replace my carburetor on my 1968 cub lo boy, I went on line and ordered what I thought to be the exact carb I have now, I installed it and It will idle while fully choked but when I try to rev it up a bit it will stall. It also leaves while the engin is off, I was told to clean the needle and seat, even though it is new, so I did very carefully and it still will not work right. Got frustrated so I ordered another on and it does the very same thing. Is it possible to have such bad luck to receive two bad carburetor? Or did I just order a cheap brand made in China? Let me know your thoughts.

Tom S.

Re: Carburetor

Postby Tom S. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Sorry, it doesn’t leave when the engine is running but it does leak.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 pm

If it's the Chinese repro of the IH carb, the float may need to be adjusted. They also come with a viton tipped needle which may or may not seal properly. The 154 started out with the IH carb and then they switched it and the 184, 185 to the Zenith. If you're sure you're getting enough gas into the carb, the main jet may be too small for what the engine wants. If you still have the OEM, you could have a rebuilt. Which numbered LoBoy do you have?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Tom S.

Postby Tom S. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:36 pm

image.jpg

If that attachment worked that is the picture of the number off of my engine I’m really not sure what number tractor I have in fact I don’t think it’s any one of those being that it’s a 1968 or 69

Tom S.

Postby Tom S. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:37 pm

By profile picture is the tractor I half

Tom S.

Postby Tom S. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:41 pm

The serial number tells me at to 1968 cub lowboy.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm guessing you have an IH style repro carb on your Cub now. Remove the drain plug or main jet and see if you have a steady, pencil sized stream for a good minute or so. If not, you have an upstream obstruction. If you do, make sure the main jet orifice is clean and then check the float height and drop.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein