This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Our Pass Thyme
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04435
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub with loader and fast hitch
1953 Farmall Cub
1970 International Cub
2011 JD X530
1995 Noma Garden Tractor
(previously owned a 1950 David Bradley walk behind tractor, if this counts?)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snow plow

Postby Our Pass Thyme » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:45 am

Another helpful tip, as you are walking down your driveway, your mailbox should be on the left side at the end of your driveway. Otherwise, the road plow will fill the end of your driveway. This is more for after the storms when the crews are out pushing back the snowbanks with the big snow wings.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13126
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub "Mule"

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:26 pm

k hutchins wrote:TallCoolOne58

I agree with everything you stated. Good info for some of the novice 1st time snowplowers.
Warm up is criticle, as well as not biting off more than you can chew. I've seen posts on here where members have their Cub confused with a bulldozer. The only full width push l make is the first one, and even then, if the snow is too deep l leave the blade "up" so l don't bite off too much.
I hope this info helps others.

Thank you. Just practical advice. He asked, I answered.

We have bitter cold and snowy winters here. January temps to -20F, and snow. I NEED my machine to start, and run. I prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Lots and lots of snow. Google Oswego County, NY average snowfall sometime when you're bored. For me, snow removal is not optional, it's essential.

I neglected to mention the importance of a properly maintained cooling system, with good fan belt, no cooling system leaks, and fresh antifreeze.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:36 am

k hutchins wrote:TallCoolOne58

I agree with everything you stated. Good info for some of the novice 1st time snowplowers.
Warm up is criticle, as well as not biting off more than you can chew. I've seen posts on here where members have their Cub confused with a bulldozer. The only full width push l make is the first one, and even then, if the snow is too deep l leave the blade "up" so l don't bite off too much.
I hope this info helps others.

Thanks. Just some practical advice. I live in an area where snow removal is not optional, unless you like to walk, with bitter cold winter temps. I need to give my Cub every opportunity to 'succeed'.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work-Thomas Edison

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:37 am

One other suggestion is to add a plow extension to the top. This keeps the snow from piling up and spilling over the top of the blade. IH made a steel one and some of those may be out there if you can find one. Other folks use thick rubber like a cut up stall mat. I used 1/2" treated plywood and it lasted several years before I finally broke it off last winter. In the coming weeks, I'll cut and paint a new one.
Attachments
0209181721b_HDR-cropped.jpg
Jim

Circle of Safety

TallCoolOne58
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby TallCoolOne58 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 am

Urbish wrote:One other suggestion is to add a plow extension to the top. This keeps the snow from piling up and spilling over the top of the blade. IH made a steel one and some of those may be out there if you can find one. Other folks use thick rubber like a cut up stall mat. I used 1/2" treated plywood and it lasted several years before I finally broke it off last winter. In the coming weeks, I'll cut and paint a new one.

Guess I'm fortunate. Mine has the steel one. Always assumed it was a standard feature. Learn something new every day.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:33 am

For those of you who may not want to get off the Cub to change blade angle,
here is what I did - wow - just realized this was 7 years ago - and it's still going strong.
Angle Snowplow Blade Manually

Video of it operating
Video of Snow Plow Manual Blade Angler
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 am

My plow has evolved a lot over the years. Adding a power angle and a trip mechanism greatly added to the enjoyment of plowing snow. Double wheel weights help keep the old girl from spinning and tearing things up. I also added some small suitcase weights mounted to my step to weght the light side of the offset tractor. Now both tires have the same grip and the right tire isn't slipping first all the time.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 am

Getting deep snow plow often with the fcub, cubloboy. Having a way to turn the plow without getting off the tractor is awesome. I had a old jeep with the manual pin turn. I hated it. Now my jeep has the four way plow I’m in heaven. I’m running four sets of tire chains with locking differentials. My neighbor has a uphill driveway that his plow guy with a one ton truck can’t plow when the snow is deep. My little jeep eats this up.

Four wheel weights on the rear with chains, double wheel weights in the front to steer better. Plowing level ground is different than plowing off cambers. Set the tractor up right.

10/30wt or 5/30wt motoroil. Go by the fcub manual it’s our bible. It’s oil wt vs temps. Don’t think thicker heavier wt oil will warmup in time before you spin a bearing.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:41 am

Growing up in the 50’s in ct when we really got snow. Not many 4x4 trucks were made back then. The local gas station had a 40’s ford one ton wrecker 2wd with a down pressure hydraulically powered plow. He had two 55 gallon drums filled with water in the bed. Chains, weight equals traction pushes snow.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 am

I have the old mount front plow and hand lift....Love it that way...Blade "floats" when I'm piling it up....... I do gravel drive ways also so I keep the blade up a little.......Not put mine on yet....The rain has not let up here in weeks and I refuse to roll around in a wet yard.... plus leave ruts in the yard!!!!! KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Every place I have lived and plowed so far I get all the deeper snow my neighbors get less. I set my machines for the worst. Mother Nature loves me.

BillBolt
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16936
Tractors Owned: 1936 McCormick Deering W 30
1944 Farmal H
1949 Farmall Cub
1962 Farmall 504
1977 270 White
Kubota BX 2200

Postby BillBolt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:38 am

:surrender: When mounting 54A blade to be a grader. Do you use draw bar turned forward to mount blade too ?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:30 am

The 54A came with a substitute drawbar that allowed you to mid-mount without using the drawbar. If you don't have the substitute drawbar, you can reverse the standard drawbar.

Return to “Farmall Cub”