This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New topic but an old one,Polarizing the 6v system/Charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

New topic but an old one,Polarizing the 6v system/Charging

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:02 am

Folks:
This is not a new topic but my search is confusing my problems, I have a 4 position switch, which is now in the three position switch wiring ,because of the regulator. I have checked all connections though, and through. My problem is, I started the tractor up, the charge needle is in the minus side. Hooked a make shift light up ,It lights correctly. then the needle goes to the neg around 10. then slowly comes back up. My question is how to repolarize if necessary exactly which terminals. Does the tractor have to be running ,can it be done with the hood on. To check the charging ,Short jump from "F" Terminal on generator grounded to the body?
What should I check then? See if the needle goes to the + side?Not sure what was meant in the other posts. Will await you're help.
Thanks PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:33 am

Phil, first, verify that the ammeter is in the circuit correctly. With the tractor not running, connect your temporary light and turn it on. Does the ammeter deflect to the negative? If it does, the ammeter is connected correctly. Your description of the 10 amp negative deflection gradually returning to near zero sounds a little odd. Most systems will charge high right after starting to restore battery charge and then taper down to near zero so I wonder if the ammeter isn't wired reversed.
Now, as far as polarization, the most convenient place to do it is at the regulator since the wires are near each other. It is the wires connected to the Batt terminal and the Gen terminal on the regulator. What you are actually doing is momentarily applying battery voltage to the armature of the generator to set up the residual magnetic field in the armature. Polarization is done with the tractor not running.
Grounding the F terminal of the generator in effect takes the regulator out of the circuit and puts the generator at full output. You should see a positive deflection at the ammeter. If you have a cheap voltmeter it will aid in diagnosis.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:39 pm

Bigdog

I will try this and let you know!
I talked to George today and he showed me how to polarize sounds tougher than it is.
He also mentioned the gauge wire being reversed. Is the F charge while running?
Thanks Phil

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:24 pm

Phil, yes, just ground the field terminal and then start it up. With a little throttle, it should show a charge. One other simple check. Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the tractor off. Then start it up and with the throttle at about half open, measure the battery voltage again. If the voltage is higher with the tractor running, the system is charging.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:37 pm

I changed the wires in the back of the ammeter no change. Repolorized,may get a new battery ,the old one was totally dead, put it on the charger for a day, however I am suspicious of it.
Thanks I will let you know my findings
Phil

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:18 am

Bigdog

Talked to a fellow that had similar problems he said his battery was weak, he also said that this system could not bring it back, I replaced the battery,repolorized , and charging correctly, for future reference the wire that leads from the starter to the ammeter is hooked as looking into the guage from the drivers seat left terminal(- side of charging lettering). If this may help someone in the future.
Thanks for all you're assistance.