This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 42 mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rwschwartz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72802
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
John Deere 4100

Woods 42 mower

Postby Rwschwartz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I've found a Woods 42 belly mower for sale. It looks to be in pretty good condition and I think it is all there and ready to run. The owner wants $300 for it. Is it worth that?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods 42 mower

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:32 pm

If all the mounting parts/pieces/mule drive/pulleys are there and in good shape it is not an unreasonable price. If some parts are missing, they can be hard to find and expensive when found. Often the mower is dismounted and the mounting brackets are left on the tractor. Then the tractor goes in one direction and the mower in another, much to the dismay of the new owner of the mower.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Agreed. Make sure it includes the PTO Pulley, and that the spokes are not cracked (may be hard to see if painted)...they can be pricey. Also, if it has the overriding clutch on the spindle, see if it catches well and turns in one direction, and releases in the other direction. Rebuild parts are still available from Woods, but are quite pricey.

Price seems fair if it has the mule drive, deck has no rust-through and skids are in good condition.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Rwschwartz
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere 4100

Postby Rwschwartz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Agreed. Make sure it includes the PTO Pulley, and that the spokes are not cracked (may be hard to see if painted)...they can be pricey. Also, if it has the overriding clutch on the spindle, see if it catches well and turns in one direction, and releases in the other direction. Rebuild parts are still available from Woods, but are quite pricey.

Price seems fair if it has the mule drive, deck has no rust-through and skids are in good condition.

I'll have to check on the clutch. Can that be checked with it not mounted on the tractor? Yes, I'm a nimrod at this. It does have the pto pulley, the drive belt and a safety cover for the pulley.

Rwschwartz
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere 4100

Postby Rwschwartz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Rwschwartz wrote:
Dale Finch wrote:Agreed. Make sure it includes the PTO Pulley, and that the spokes are not cracked (may be hard to see if painted)...they can be pricey. Also, if it has the overriding clutch on the spindle, see if it catches well and turns in one direction, and releases in the other direction. Rebuild parts are still available from Woods, but are quite pricey.

I'll have to check on the clutch. Can that be checked with it not mounted on the tractor? Yes, I'm a nimrod at this. It does have the pto pulley, the drive belt and a safety cover for the pulley.

What is the "mule drive?"

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Changes the belt direction from vertical to horizontal. Some types fasten to the finals below the pto pulley, near the drawbar. Check this post: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 42&t=78436 Others bolt on to the rear of the pto housing.
cub mower muledrive.jpg
Check TM Tractor website for some other photos.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Rwschwartz
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere 4100

Postby Rwschwartz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 pm

IMG_0738.JPG
Here is a picture of it.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am

Hi,
Below is the Woods 42 mower owner's manual. It has lots of info. I don't know if the mower in your pic is exactly the same model, Woods had different model numbers over the years.
There is usually a sticker on the mower somewhere with the model number, at least the Woods mower I saw had a sticker.
This manual is for Cubs with a drawbar, not a Fast Hitch.

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/oe ... _Mower.asp

It looks like the mower in your pic has the belt drive parts at the rear that bolt onto the drawbar brackets, the pic is sort of small, it's not up close to the rear of the mower.
You have to have a drawbar to use the mower in your pic, if it is for a Cub with a drawbar.
The mower for a Cub with a Fast Hitch uses different belt drive parts than a mower for a Cub with a drawbar. Woods made both styles, there is a manual for a 42 mower for use with a Cub with a Fast Hitch.
If your Cub has a drawbar, I would ask the people if the mower is for a Cub with a drawbar, before buying the mower. :)

Rwschwartz
5+ Years
5+ Years
John Deere 4100

Postby Rwschwartz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
Below is the Woods 42 mower owner's manual. It has lots of info. I don't know if the mower in your pic is exactly the same model, Woods had different model numbers over the years.
There is usually a sticker on the mower somewhere with the model number, at least the Woods mower I saw had a sticker.
This manual is for Cubs with a drawbar, not a Fast Hitch.

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/oe ... _Mower.asp

It looks like the mower in your pic has the belt drive parts at the rear that bolt onto the drawbar brackets, the pic is sort of small, it's not up close to the rear of the mower.
You have to have a drawbar to use the mower in your pic, if it is for a Cub with a drawbar.
The mower for a Cub with a Fast Hitch uses different belt drive parts than a mower for a Cub with a drawbar. Woods made both styles, there is a manual for a 42 mower for use with a Cub with a Fast Hitch.
If your Cub has a drawbar, I would ask the people if the mower is for a Cub with a drawbar, before buying the mower. :)

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the mower came off of a cub with a drawbar. In fact, I purchased a drawbar from the guy selling the mower. He told me the drawbar and the mower came off of the same cub.

Return to “Farmall Cub”