This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lack of power and throttle response

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Lack of power and throttle response

Postby Mht » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:32 pm

I have just finished reassembly of my 1950 cub after an engine rebuild. Magneto had points condenser and coil replaced points were gapped at .013 and magneto was static timed I have a very good spark. The carb was rebuilt with a kit from Macdonald carb and the float was set according to specs. I installed a temporary gas tank and the tractor cranked right up. The problem is that the tractor cuts off if I quickly advance the throttle or put any load on it. I have the carb to governor linkage adjusted to specs and do not have any slop in the governor shaft. It appears from looking at the plugs that it is running too rich but the only way to put a load on it is with the choke partially closed. I sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb and intake to look for an air leak but found none. I have checked for a fuel restriction in the line from the tank and don’t have any restrictions. I get plenty of gas running out of the carb when I remove the drain plug or main jet. The main jet is not stopped up. I’m at a loss for what could be causing my power problem. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible. I would appreciate any advice as to what else to look for

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Re: Lack of power and throttle response

Postby Slim140 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Triple check your plug wires, they are more than likely not on right. It will run on 2 cylinders and not have any power. Don't ask how I know this :lol:

If it's not that and you're 100% sure your carb is right check your timing again.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Re: Lack of power and throttle response

Postby Urbish » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 pm

My 1948 (6V with magneto ignition) was exhibiting the exact same problem until I redid the static timing procedure. It was advanced just a titch too far and would shut down when put under load or if I advanced the throttle too quickly. Partial choking would prevent this from happening. After I re-timed it, all was right again.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”