This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

#$%&*@# cub shifter #2

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

#$%&*@# cub shifter #2

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:42 pm

New shifter from JP snapped off at the spring retainer pin hole about the third time I put it in reverse. You could see where the shifter had a hidden stress crack around both sides, radiating from the hole about 45 degrees in both directions.

There was less than 1/16 of a square inch of healthy steel holding it together. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It looked so nice and solid, too........

One step forward, two steps back. My local Case Dealer wasn't sure if they could get one for me (what kind of answer is that?? Useless people.....) Called next nearest one (65 miles away)....He's gonna ship me one by Tuesday.....figure a new one should (keyword here) last longer than one afternoon.

And yes, I did slap this time instead of brute force pushing. :shock:

@#$%^@#$%$^@#$%$ cub shifters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:08 pm

Cub shifters do have some problems. I have rebuilt several using Mr. GW's method. I think you will find this much to your liking: George Willer's SHifter Repair 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:13 pm

One more thing, this rebuild will cut down on the amount of moisture that enters the transmission through the shifter.
8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:32 pm

Thank Donny! Just a bit late on some of George's wisdom (store bought the retainers) but the rest of the lesson will come in handy, as I have to put mine together in the near future. Why didn't I think of the turned retainers wtih an o-ring??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)