Wiring in a fuse.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Wiring in a fuse.

Postby LRiddle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 am

My tractor came with no fuse wired in. There's a switch for the rear light where the fuse holder is supposed to be. I would like to put a fuse in, but I don't know what wire it goes in. Also, I kind of like the light switch where it is, so I was thinking of using an inline blade type fuse. Can someone please chime in with what wire gets the fuse and any thoughts on an inline fuse. Thanks.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

butchs38
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07847
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
54 Blade

Re: Wiring in a fuse.

Postby butchs38 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 am

Check and see if the switch is wired to the main light switch there should be a fuse on the back of main light switch. If it is just make sure it is wired so it uses that fuse.

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:03 am

butchs38 wrote:Check and see if the switch is wired to the main light switch there should be a fuse on the back of main light switch. If it is just make sure it is wired so it uses that fuse.

I'll have to look when I get home. I think it's wired into the switch somehow. The rear light won't turn on unless the main switch is on.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

butchs38
Cub Star
Cub Star
54 Blade

Postby butchs38 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:36 pm

If thats the case then if there is a fuse on back of main switch then its fused.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi,
If your Cub has a Battery Ignition unit, being a 1951 Cub, it would have originally had the separate fuse holder in the bottom hole on the dash, and the 3 position light switch.

The 4 position charge and light switch, used with the Cutout, or Relay, IH called it, charging system, had the fuse built on the rear of the switch. IH quit using that switch when the voltage regulator and Battery Ignition came out during 1950.

The Cub owner's manual has wiring diagrams showing how to wire the fuse holder that goes in the bottom hole on the dash. Below are pages from the late 1955 owner's manual, the numbers in the drawing on the 1st page are explained on the 2nd page.
This is the original 6 volt wiring in the pics. It also shows the original battery to starter cable wiring, on the 1st page, if anyone is looking for that. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2049.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

It looks like the wire from the end of the fuse holder goes up to the light switch, and the wire on the side of the fuse holder goes to the always hot side of the ignition switch.

TM Tractor has a new fuse holder, it says it's a Case IH part.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/748fp.htm

butchs38
Cub Star
Cub Star
54 Blade

Postby butchs38 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm

I did know they changed to 3 position light switch but didnt know it was that early. My 50 has the 4 position I quess its an early 50.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi,
Yes, the Battery Ignition unit, voltage regulator, and 3 position light switch came out at Cub serial number 115403, Raymond Durban's database says.

The 1952 Cub owner's manual shows the same 3 position light switch, and fuse holder as the manual that I posted above. I can't post the 1952 manual on here, the manual is at Quick links above, and it won't post here.
The manuals I post are at Rudy's manuals, at the top of the page at Cub Info. Rudy's manuals does not have a 1952 owner's manual. There is a 1950 owner's manual there, showing the relay and 4 position switch, if you don't have the manual, butchs38.
The owner's manuals have much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication.

butchs38
Cub Star
Cub Star
54 Blade

Postby butchs38 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks I have a manual and its nice to know when the 3 position switch was used as my serial starts with 113 so I now know the switch is correct. Although it must have been converted to battery ignition.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 am

If you would like to add a blade fuse to the lighting circuit, find the wire that supplies power to the switch and splice in a blade fuse holder. I have a blade fuse holder and a fuse on a cigarette lighter socket. I use it to power a 12v sprayer.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Willy
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 am

outdoors4evr wrote:If you would like to add a blade fuse to the lighting circuit, find the wire that supplies power to the switch and splice in a blade fuse holder. I have a blade fuse holder and a fuse on a cigarette lighter socket. I use it to power a 12v sprayer.

That's what I did when rewiring my Cub. The original fuse holder had been removed and the wires to it spliced together. One of my changes when rewiring was to put in a blade fuse much like you did. I don't have a cigarette lighter socket, but I did wire in a dual USB charging port with digital voltmeter that was supposed to be for a motorcycle.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 pm

butchs38 wrote:Thanks I have a manual and its nice to know when the 3 position switch was used as my serial starts with 113 so I now know the switch is correct. Although it must have been converted to battery ignition.

Hi,
The Battery Ignition unit, voltage regulator, and 3 position light switch came out at serial number 115403, like I wrote above.
If your serial number begins with 113, it would have originally had the magneto, relay, and 4 position switch.
IH did have Battery Ignition conversion packages years ago, to change Cubs to Battery Ignition.
Below is the manual for that, it is for many models of IH tractors. The manual was made in 1950, it says on the last page. The last 2 pages on the list are newer.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

If your Cub has the voltage regulator shown in my post above, in the pic of the hood removed, and the 3 position switch, it may have had the package below installed. This is a package that had a voltage regulator, but it has a magneto also. The manual was made in 1951.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

There might have been a package for converting Cubs that already had the relay charging system to the newer voltage regulator, I don't know, it's not in the manuals group that I see. Maybe Jim B. knows if they made that. :)