This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Donny Millar

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years
Circle of Safety: Y

Donny Millar

Postby Ralph » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 pm

If i could ask the moderators to please leave this post here for a couple days before it is moved or deleted from the forum. I would appreciate it very much.
As Donny was a huge part of this group in the early days .
These words are not mine But feel the same as the writer as Donny was a Real GOOD friend !

When I received the word about Donny, I simply wouldn't believe it. Even though I knew the friend who'd shared this sad news would have it right, I immediately called Donny's phone, half-expecting him to answer. But the man who answered confirmed what I already knew: my good friend was finally at rest, freed from his burdens, no longer restless, no longer in pain.

The first time I met Donny, I didn't really meet him, I just benefitted from his wisdom and kindness. At the time we both posted regularly on a forum for Farmall Cub tractors, which he loved to restore, and which I muddled through with far less skill. I was having carburetor problems, and was asking for advice. Donny reached out to a fellow poster in private, and instructed him to have me send him my carb, and he would see what he could do. No promises, no charge, just trust and see how it turned out. The carb appeared in my mailbox a few weeks later, working perfectly and looking brand new. That was about ten years ago, and was the beginning of an amazing friendship!

I can count on two hands the number of days in total that I spent together with Donny. But I am proud to have called him my friend, and happy to have returned his simple favor when opportunities would present themselves over the years.

We spent hours and hours on the phone, either talking, texting, or by private message. I was fortunate to have come to know Donny as a strong man, a happy man, a proud man, a stubborn man, a loving father, a vulnerable man, and an unwavering friend. Donny was one of those rare and intelligent men who could be both a real woman's man and a real man's man without being, well, you know!

There are several things I know about Donny, that I hope all family members who see this will take as fact and keep in their hearts forever. 1. Donny loved his children more than anything else on this earth. All of them. Always. Forever. 2. Donny loved the rest of his family with equal fervor, even though he sometimes might have fallen short in expressing that love. 3. When Donny picked a friend, it was almost like being counted as family.

Unfortunately, I don't think Donny was wired by our creator to find a way to say "I'm sorry". He shared many situations where that skill may have served him well, and I genuinely believe it caused him great pain and remorse, and may have been the largest regret in his life.

So here's what I'll take with grateful pride from my friendship with Donny: Love your children with everything you've got. All of them, always, forever. Love your family, but don't ever let the sun set on a dispute, lest you lose that love and regret it. When you screw up and make a mistake, admit it, apologize, make up, and move on. And when you pick a friend, if you're half as good a friend as Donny, you'll be a great friend indeed.

RIP dear friend. We'll miss you.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Donny Millar

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Well said, Ralph.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:02 am

Donny was every bit as amazing as your eulogy Ralph. Learned even more about him!
THANKS LARGE

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:21 am

Well stated Ralph.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:07 am

I never got to meet Donny in person though I wish I had. We was supposed to meet to exchange some parts but just never happened. What I talked to him through Facebook messenger he seemed to be an extremely likeable person.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am

Great eulogy, Ralph!

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:50 am

Well said Ralph.

I too could count Donny as one of my friends, an honor indeed.

When the 'chat' was always busy, we chatted often and over time we found that two people I came to value and trust in Maine (where my rock farm is) were both friends of Donny. The fellow that did my roof turns out to have worked with Donny for years installing big antennas. The neighbor that owns a sand pit next to me (and did this out of stater a favor) lived down the road from Donny had loaned him a bulldozer to work his driveway. Good people seem to have a way to find each other....

RIP Mr Millar.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Nicely said Ralph....Talked to Donnie a few times..exchanged messages mostly on facebook...and quirps [I call them] We talked about riding together more than once...Sadly...that won't happen now..R.I.P..see you...hopefully not to soon...Ketcham
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I considered Donny my friend as well, he helped me several times with my tractor, Ralph you described him very well. R.I.P. Donny
Jim Turner

perk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Ford 2N

Postby perk » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Several years ago I was having trouble with a motorcycle and I got on the cub site to see if someone could tell me if maybe there was a motorcycle site that I could go to and get some info. It was late at night so I was thinking that I may get a reply the next day from someone when Donny hit me with a reply 'what trouble are you having with it'. I took his advise and the next day I had it running great.

Later I met Donny at VA Cubfest. And got to know him. He was one of those guys you don't forget. He seemed to be one that would help anyway he could. A lot of knowledge of cubs. I sure enjoyed the time I spent with him!

R.I.P Donny
48 Farmall Cub and 47 Ford 2N

Steven.Millar
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Steven.Millar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks for this post. I believe I remember standing next to his desk watching him repair a carb for a friend, could have been yours!

I know that this forum was a frequent visit for him, and I’m glad he will be remembered here.

His Cub, Rose, is still running strong and looking good, I intend to keep it that way.

-Steven

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, Steven.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:45 pm

Welcome, Steven, we have sorely missed your Dad! I first met him in Texas at his house, you were a young'un riding a dirt bike!. Later I got to see him more often in Georgia. Glad Rose is doing well, that was one beautiful Cub!. Glad to have you on the forum.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Rick Spivey wrote:Welcome, Steven, we have sorely missed your Dad!

:Dito:
Went to all the Texas Tumbles. I remember the barn stall full of wild javelina babies last time I was there. While your dad was working in Colorado, we got together quite a few times, including when he gave me a tour of the radio/TV antenna he was helping to put up. It's nice to hear that Rose is still in the family.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:46 am

Sorry, To hear about Donny.

Return to “Farmall Cub”