This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Setting high idle RPMs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
J3 Driver
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17241
Tractors Owned: 1976 C-160 Wheelhorse
1995 JD F525
1998 JD 955 with 70A loader and 54 blade
JD 71 planter modified for use on Sleevehitch
Brinly plow, disk, and cultivator.
Son has a 1957 Cub with fast hitch, snowplow, 194 plow, disk, carryall, Mott fast hitch flail mower, and windbreaker
1942 John Deere H
Circle of Safety: Y

Setting high idle RPMs

Postby J3 Driver » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Tonight I was verifying the low idle RPMs in th cub and decided to check the high to. According to the manual I should be seeing 2000 RPMs at full throttle with no load. Is my thinking correct on this?

The first time I got 1600.
CFFA5DEE-F2E4-43B3-A07B-4C9BFBEA6016.jpeg

The second time I got 1800.
91BD42B2-3D4A-4E5C-B288-979209691256.jpeg

So it looks like I need to adjust the high speed screw on the governor. Would you guys mess with it or let it as is. Askonif I do speed it up some is there a rule of thumb about how big a turn equals how many RPMS.

Also as I move the throttle to high RPMs there is a lot of spring resistance. As it it’s hard to get it the hole way up and it really doesn’t like staying there. Will adjusting the governor make this better.

Thanks in advance.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Setting high idle RPMs

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:15 pm

I believe a 57 cub would have still been 1800 rpm, I thought they went to 200 rpm in the mid 60s or so, but some of the more knowledgeable people on here will have the correct info.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:42 am

The engine's high idle appears on the tractors serial number plate.

Depending on which carb carburetor is installed on the tractor, there is a screw on the carburetor limiting the high idle. If you want more rpms, back the screw out.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 am

Not sure why your throttle don't like staying "up there". Are the teeth 's integrity on the throttle good? There is a spring for tension too.

In the manual(s) , setting the carb to governor linkage is covered at carb install time.
I check that setting before messing with idle screw at carb..
This last tractor ...A previous owner had cranked up to a scream.
Throttle range was about an inch and a half between a very high idle (at lowest throttle setting) and a "Yikes!"full throttle only a few teeth ahead....

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Waif wrote:..........
Throttle range was about an inch and a half between a very high idle (at lowest throttle setting) and a "Yikes!"full throttle only a few teeth ahead....
It may have a governor from a number series. They had lighter weights for higher rpms, and also since they were primarily mowing tractors and had only a limited throttle range between the two. I rebuilt one of my cubs and since I was going to one of the cub tugs soon afterward I put a governor from a numbered cub on it, and only had about 4 or 5 teethe between idle and full speed. When I got back from the tug, I took that governor off and sold it then reinstalled the original governor so I had better control of the in between range.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Waif wrote:..........
It may have a governor from a number series. They had lighter weights for higher rpms, and also since they were primarily mowing tractors and had only a limited throttle range between the two. I rebuilt one of my cubs and since I was going to one of the cub tugs soon afterward I put a governor from a numbered cub on it, and only had about 4 or 5 teethe between idle and full speed. When I got back from the tug, I took that governor off and sold it then reinstalled the original governor so I had better control of the in between range.

It tamed right down with adjustment ,but I'll look closer at it.
What appears unmolested on an old tractor may not be!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi,
You can increase the high speed RPM's if you want, but if 1800 is fast enough for you, it's not really necessary to speed it up.
The maximum RPM was on the serial number plate from 1947 - 1955.
1956 and later Cubs have no maximum RPM on the plate.

Raymond Durban's database says at Cub serial number 192113, which was late 1955, the engine RPM was increased. It doesn't say to what RPM. It was 1800 RPM before that.
There were other changes at that serial number also.

Below is a specification page from the 12/20/55 Cub owner's manual showing the engine speeds. It shows the high speed as being 2016 RPM.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2077.jpg

You could oil the throttle linkage, and see if it frees up some. Oil where the cotter key is in the pic below, the arm commonly gets tight on the shaft there. You can look in from the left side, by the fan, with a light to see it.
You can also oil the other end of the arm pivot, it is right near the high speed limit bolt. :)
Attachments
Cub gov 4.jpg