This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What to look for in buying a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rbruno
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21797

What to look for in buying a Cub

Postby rbruno » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:38 am

Hello All,
I am new to the Farmall Cub tractor. I remember 30 years ago, a friend had one and was doing a basic fresh up on one. I have always had Ford 9N and 8N tractors and have two today. But, ever since looking at my friend's Cub, I have also been interested in this tractor. Recently and unexpectedly, there have been 4 or 5 Cub tractors for sale in my area (central MD) which has gotten me interested again in this tractor. I have been doing a little research trying to learn more about these tractors which has led me to this site. So, I would like to ask a couple basic questions about the tractor.

1. Are there any more or less desirable years over the production time?
2. Were there any major changes to the basic tractor from year to year? Just to compare, the Ford 9n/2N had three speeds, the 8N 4. Again, the Ford front mount distributor to the side mount. etc These were pretty significant changes to the same basic tractor.
3. Are there certain things you check before buying a tractor? What do you try to avoid? Meaning would you buy a tractor that wasn't running but the sheet metal is good because it is hard to find sheet metal vs finding parts to get it to run again.
4. Are there some things that would make a tractor not worth buying mainly because you can't find parts or it was a weakness in the tractor from the start.
5. And of course price. I know the Fords vary from different regions around the Country. Again, I am in central MD and the ones I have seen advertised are anywhere from $800 to $1500. Sine have one or two implements with them. Is this a good range for price in my area?
6. Anything I missed?

Thanks for any advice you may give. If I take the plunge and buy another tractor, I want to have a better idea of what I am getting into. If I do get one, I would not mind doing some work on one. My goal would not be to do a complete restoration, but to use the tractor around my house. I wouldn't mind finding one that just need some TLC to then have a nice working old tractor use.
Thanks,
Rob

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What to look for in buying a Cub

Postby Slim140 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:51 am

1-Personal preference, a Cub is a Cub if you ask me.
2-Not many changes other than sheet metal & grilles.
3-Look for welds, across the front bolster (under radiator) welds on front axle, cracked or broken/welded finals/transmission etc.
4-If you think the price is right and it reflects the tractor most parts are readily available for a Cub. The more "extras" the higher the price usually.
5-Those prices are about average of a Cub.
6-Check the brakes, clutch, steering play etc. Tires, make sure it has good tires unless you want to spend $500+ on 4 tires and not know what you'll run into with rust in wheels etc.

Welcome to the forum!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:10 pm

I think a better thought would be, what do you plan on using the tractor for. Perhaps there would be a better tractor.

I own a standard Cub and a 154 numbered Cub, mostly used as mower tractors and towing trailers.

I'm getting old, and the implement change on the standard Cub is a real pain. Also the PTO is not standard and rotates backwards to standard. Thus, making it difficult and sometimes expensive to purchase equipment.

Having said that, you might want to look at a bit larger IH tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:39 pm

The Farmall Cub is a versatile little workhorse. There is very good parts support for them both in aftermarket reproduction as well as used. These tractors were in production for many years and sold well, thus there are plenty to choose from. I think Shane covered it well with his answers to your questions. If you're just looking for a fun little machine to tinker with and do light tasks with, the Cub is a great choice in my opinion.
Jim

Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:01 pm

I think it depends on your goals for the tractor.

If you want to end up with a show tractor that is orginal you may look around to good bones so you do not have to spend 5 years looking to just the right parts.

If you are looking to cut grass and do not care about how it looks the universe is much larger.

Getting them to run is easy. Getting them original and show ready is harder.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Hate to state the obvious, but the first things l'd check is whether or not the engine is siezed, when was the last time it ran (assuming they can't start it). Then check the rest, besides looking for welded repairs, look inside the gas tank, there are a lot of posts here about fuel flow problems, most relate to rust or debris in the tank.
My preference would be an earlier model with a magneto. If your battery is dead you can still start it with a hand crank. I'm biased as l have a '48.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm

k hutchins wrote:Hate to state the obvious, but the first things l'd check is whether or not the engine is siezed,

I bought cubs with seized engines cracked bulasters for the other parts and implements at what I thought was a good price. It depends on what your goal is for the cub, the price the condition
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Yep...bought one with a siezed engine for the tires...then got the siezed engine running

They dont have to be pretty to mow grass or turn dirt.
These little tractors will take a lot of abuse and just keep going...they just take a little smaller bite than the big tractors...

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 pm

This thread was by Rudi in the How To Forum (Miscellaneous Ideas):

What to Look For When Buying a Cub

There's some good info on the A.T.I.S. site about Farmall Cubs, located here:

A.T.I.S on Farmall Cubs
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 pm

There is a dealer in Hughesville Maryland who advertises on craigslist. He listed an "A" model today for $1500. b/o . It looks like a Farmall Cub to me, maybe larger but it all looks good. Has good tires, metal, runs good and has front blade.
This goes back to our partners recommendations of looking closely for welded ears and sections. Sometimes it is only in a days work when something cracks and the tractor is shut down. It is repaired correctly and you/they don't use it for stump pulling anymore.
There is the other thing;

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi,
The Farmall Cub was made from 1947 - mid 1964, and the International Cub was made from mid 1964 - 1979. Both are the same offset style. There were different hood and grille styles over the years.
Below are pages from the Cub parts manual showing the different styles, and the serial numbers when they were made.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 000-11.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 000-12.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 000-13.jpg

The Cubs from 1947 - mid 1964 had 6 volt electrical systems, Cubs from mid 1964 up had 12 volt electrical systems.
The Touch Control hydraulic system was available.
The Fast Hitch came out in late 1954.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing optional equipment that was available then. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2070.jpg

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:40 am

Hi Rob,

I'll answer your first question in a different way. As a "future" collectible the most desirable Cubs will be the first ones and the last ones, both for that fact and because they had the lowest production numbers. The first "circle" Cubs from 1947-? will be worth the most, as they're the original, first ones. Towards the end of the run in the late 70's Cub production was dropping quickly, but these tractors, being relatively "new" compared to the rest of the Cubs made, will take more time for collectors to start appreciating their value. But they have the distinction of being the last with low production numbers.............so when Cub fever hits collectors full tilt they will also be valuable. All those in between will just be Cubs, and of those condition is everything.

Originality will be more sought after than something restored. Original paint on a tractor is rare........so it will be more valuable to collectors in the future. Tractors with all original parts are also rare.......so that will make one more desirable. This is all just my personal opinion and I'm sure many eyebrows are being raised as this is being read.......but I think if you look at anything mechanical that's collected what I'm saying has some merit. I've been to auctions where people are looking at the logos on bolt heads on Cubs......so this level of scrutiny is coming. It may not hit the Cub market to the full extent as other collector hobbies, but the John Deere collectors are already full tilt on this stuff.....the Farmall collectors can't be too far behind.

Now just go out there and find a 1947 Cub with original paint and all original parts and you will have Farmall's version of a '67 Corvette 427 Tri-Power 4-speed (i.e., a very desirable tractor)!!

Shields are up............you guys can start throwing the sticks and rocks now. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am

No sticks from me. I understand how this works over time. In the mean time, perfectly usable Cubs are waiting to be used. Like most machinery, they don't suffer idleness easily.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am

Perhaps the days are waning when tractor pulls, as a show, Stops. Man I stepped in that but too often a really good tractor is pulling the guts out of another one. This reminds me of the history of this sort of thing and war in general. Who is going to recast the casings and remanufacture the final drives and transmissions? Perhaps the best are the ones which did a days work and returned to the tractor shed.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:17 pm

I understand the reason to display tractors' abilities to a crowd of people. Everyone likes to see the battle but they don't see the aftermath. The effort to win requires lots of work against a worthy opponent. It is cool and younger generation never forgets the winner but maybe the loser. It is like bread and circus entertainment and the losers are those tractors stressed beyond normal means. Sure. New engineering comes from this but who is going to replace it?
There were all classes of tractor-to- tractor fights. These tractors are like the buffalo or something. You all of a sudden find them rare. The ones put out to pasture may have abnormal stress.