This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Radiator question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmall918
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 74021

New Radiator question

Postby Farmall918 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:52 am

Do I need to install a thermostat in my in my cub it has a c-60 engine I’m installing a new radiator today if so what temp thermostat should I get

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Radiator question

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:09 am

Cub radiators do not use a thermostat to regulate temperature. As the water/coolant heats up, it expands and starts circulating. There is an overflow tube in the filler neck at the top in the event the water level becomes too high. Make sure you do not overfill the radiator...…...only need to cover the fins with the coolant. Should be able to just barely see the coolant level through the filler neck.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:17 pm

The cub owners manual gives guidance as to the height of the coolant, should be 2 inches below the filler neck. For a thermosyphon system to work all parts have to be under water or coolant. Filling only to cover the fins is not enough and the system will not thermosyphon. It will, instead, function as a Mr. Coffee style cooling system with a slug of coolant being pushed around by steam from an overheated part of the engine. The bottom of the radiator inlet tube or pipe is tapered and if the coolant is 2 inches below the filler neck then that tapered part of the inlet tube will be under the level of the coolant. The owners manual has a good drawing to explain why that level is important.

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:26 am

Farmall918,

Every Spring I top off the radiator with 50/50, fire her up and let it run, and put a catch can under the bolster. In 20 minutes or so she'll set her coolant level all by herself. Not much evaporates each year, but better safe than sorry.

Regards,
Bob

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:12 am

Bob, have you ever removed the radiator cap to observe the level of coolant afterwards? I realize every tractor is unique and coolant levels may vary, but I am curious what you see.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:49 am

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late response.........I honestly never took notice of the "Notifications" at the top of the page.........I always thought those were just acknowledgments that I posted something. Then it started blinking red last night and I clicked on it. I've got 30 notifications!!! You're on top of the list......so here's your answer.

I don't see anything. Meaning when you look in the filler hole you see the top of the inlet tube. There's no coolant to be seen when she's cooled down. Looking to the sides of the tube it's hard to determine how far down the level really is, but I'd guess it's about a quarter inch below the top of the tube. I usually check it every Spring, but if I'm mowing tall grass in the hot summer heat I always put a bit of coolant in her before we start mowing just to be safe. I've always wondered what the coolant temp really was on those hot days, as I'm not a big fan of the "Thermo-Siphon" system of moving coolant around. Obviously it works.....but it's probably on the hairy edge, so to speak. Again, sorry for the late response........I'll pay more attention now.

regards,
bob