This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kub Clipper belly mounted bush hog

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hankconklin15613
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19118

Kub Clipper belly mounted bush hog

Postby hankconklin15613 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 am

Hi, I am new to this forum, so hello everyone. I have a 1948 Farmall Cub with a belly mounted
"Kub Clipper" bush hog(mod. K46E). I think I have the pulleys lined up and the shim on the left rear pulley in the proper position. Problem is the pto belt keeps coming off and after 3 or 4 times it breaks. The original belt broke, so I bought a new one which broke after coming off 3 times. I can't tell what is wrong by looking at the pulleys. Everything turns freely. There is quite a bit of play in the two rear pulleys and the adjusting handle.
This problem seems to have started when I was bush hogging some heavy brush. I wonder if I overtightened the belt in an effort to keep it from coming off. I can't see anything bent or broken and the belt seemed to track ok.
Thanks for any help

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Kub Clipper belly mounted bush hog

Postby Indy4570 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am

I would like to see pics of your mower, I have one but its not complete and I have never mounted it as I have no front mount and no mule drive. That has the long threaded rod adjuster on the mule drive? is this the mower you have?
Attachments
DSCF3303mower.jpg
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am

and welcome to the forum!
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 am

Welcome!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum (including how to post pictures):

After your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the free PDF Manuals. They are located via "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals". Through that link, you'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (if you don't have one) and any service manuals that interest you. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with your new-to-you Cub more quickly. Implement Manuals are also available.

Hopefully, someone who has a Kub Klipper will be on here in a short while to help out.

Glad you joined us.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 pm

My wild guess would be that your pto pulley is not lined up front to rear. It is a short distance to the mule with a 90 degree twist in the belt. From the mule to the cutter is quite forgiving and allows the deck to move up and down several inches. Mine has about 1 inch of shaft showing to the rear of the pto pulley but I'm not sure that info has any meaning. You might try hanging a fair size rope (must ride on the sides of the pulley) or a piece of a tore up belt from the pto pulley and see where it strikes the mule. It should be fairly well buried in the mule pulleys. The bearings in the mule are easily replaced on mine by pulling the grease fittings. Welcome to the forum. There quite a few of these remaining and there may be someone who has had a problem like it. I have not. I would also take the pto pulley with me when buying a replacement belt to be sure of not only the correct length but also the correct thickness. My knowledge of V belts is not great is why I would do it. Vern

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:09 pm

I have read here about certain belts which are not V belts. They are hex or octagonal shaped and the twist is not required. People replace them with V belts and it works for a while..

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:56 am

mozer71 wrote:I have read here about certain belts which are not V belts. They are hex or octagonal shaped and the twist is not required. People replace them with V belts and it works for a while..

They are hex belts and I have seen one on I believe an International 52R combine. Before I tried one however I would try to find the reason why a V belt won't run. A V belt will run, I've been doing it for better than 20 years on a Klipper. There are several mowers using a mule drive to twist the belt. Vern

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 am

There are 6-sided belts. They are called "doubleV" belts. They have internal construction similar to a standard v-belt. They cannot be run in any orientation and require the same twists a v-belt would in the same installation. A standard v-belt can only use an idler pulley on the outer side. A doubleV-belt can be used with a power transmitting v-pulley on the outer side.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks v w and of course, Jim Becker for educating me on those type belts. This does relate to the "Kub Clipper" deck in that there was one for sale recently. It was set up for as a tow behind mower and it looked perfect for a 154 type tractor. The pto alignment to the tractor was offset up and to the left. Pretty sure it was 42" deck but he never lifted it up to show it was actually a bush hog type. The belt appeared to be the "doubleV".

Return to “Farmall Cub”