This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Time to do a little work on my Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Time to do a little work on my Cub

Postby Indiana Robinson » Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 am

"Major", my 1947 Cub needs some work... What am I saying... Everything I own needs some work, some need lots of work.
I mostly need to stick to the Cub this month, and some other catch up stuff. I've let it sit a while since I didn't really need it but last year I bought a front mount / mid mount blade for it and with the horses I always need to be scraping and grading small areas and the Cub is just right for that. I also want to get to some "events" this year and it might be handy if it had some brakes. The left one has not worked since it came to the farm and now the right one needs work. Confession time, it came to the farm about 45 years ago. :) I considered making an anchor hanger and just tossing out an anchor when I wanted to stop but that's a lot of work.
I won't know what it needs until I get inside but it's all pretty simple. I do know that the seals leak to the brakes on steep hillsides. I have a new PTO "shaft and lever" unit to install while I am in there (that cost me almost $45 some years ago). I was snooping around in the transmission yesterday and didn't see or feel any particular problems. I am concerned that the upper shaft is maybe a bit too far forward as the PTO coupler sleeve just barely connects the two together when engaged. Maybe a snap ring? Maybe needs a spacer? Maybe a worn front bearing? I'll find out when I split it. The front upper shaft seal has never leaked but I'll change it while it's apart.
I need to get a new carburetor body gasket for it if I can find one that doesn't require a payment plan... :)
I probably won't get to the electrical system this month but the mag works OK. I have reached the age where I can't last until dark anyway.
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Time to do a little work on my Cub

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 am

Indiana Robinson wrote:I also want to get to some "events" this year

Sounds like that one needs to come to the Bash for a going over.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Indiana Robinson wrote:I also want to get to some "events" this year

That would definitely be the way to go!! The "team" would help you get your list done in a flash...well...maybe a sputter......but you sure would have a lot of fun!!

The problem with the PTO Clutch (coupler) could either be the front transmission seal retainer in backwards, allowing the shaft to be further forward. Or the PTO bearing could be the older staked style, that, when the stakes wear down, can allow the PTO shaft to work rearwards. Both situations increase the gap between the 2 shafts, causing the PTO to grind or disengage. Usually the shift lever pin gets worn in the process.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Wed May 09, 2018 1:30 pm

If I can make it to the Bash there will still be plenty of things it needs done to it.

Actually I need a "Barnyard Bash" type of event to attend that has a batch of guys with good free advice that know a lot about Massey Harris Pony's like the Cub guys know Cubs. :D :D :D
Since there so many fewer Pony's there are fewer guys that know them well. I got it out to get ready for an event last fall and found that while it was sitting parked in the shed someone really forced the shift lever and badly bent something inside (grrrrr). It might have been one of our horse board client's kids (Not supposed to be in there) or even someone walking the road (We are at the edge of town). It may have also been a disgruntled former son-in-law who pulled a number of stunts trying to get revenge. My other tractor transmissions seem natural but that Pony seems a little bizarre. If I get in trouble on it I'll have to do some Pony group looking. :)

Actually I believe that that SIL (SOB) may have tried to damage my Cub as well. It was in another barn where it had been sitting for some time (some health problems, mine not the Cub). While it has leaked out on the brakes a bit it has never leaked any quantity out. I drove it the short distance from that barn to the shop a couple of years ago and it sounded a little noisy. I pulled the side plug and stuck my finger in the hole. Nothing... I pulled the top cover to check on things and it was absolutely empty... I looked in the barn where it had been sitting and there was no trace of a leak on the floor at all. I didn't have any gear lube on hand so I poured in a few quarts of engine oil in it just to drive it to the shed. It sat there almost 2 years and the oil is all still there and no signs of any leakage. I really believe he drained it out in a bucket and took it with him thinking that I would just get it out and start using it and damage it badly.
After months of infantile nonsense he moved 4 states away and it all stopped... Stupid stuff like horse lot gates getting opened up at night etc. crazy stuff.
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi,
The Cub transmission holds 3 1/2 Pints of 80W-90 wt gear oil, that's less than 2 quarts. The level plug is low on the left side of the trans. Fill it until oil comes out the hole.
If you put in several quarts of motor oil in the trans, it is too high a level, and can run out the oil seals, and into where the brakes are.

I would also check the oil in the 2 final drives, there is an oil level plug on each final drive. On the left side you have to remove the drawbar to see the plug.

Below is the 1947 Cub owner's manual, if you don't have one. The experts on here recommend that everyone with a Cub read the manual closest to the year Cub you have. They have much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Farmer, you need to get your Cub to The Bash. Most of the guys haven't seen you since you hosted Buckeye CubFest in 2004.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi,
Below is a post by Dale Finch showing working on a Cub final drive. You can look at it and learn much about the repair.
It is easier to buy new brake bands than replace the lining, TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has them. It's your choice which to buy.

There is also an oil seal in each final drive, behind the brake drum, that is not shown in the post. They should be replaced if you have the final drive off the Cub, if they haven't been replaced in years.
So there is a total of 4 oil seals on the 2 upper shafts that the brakes are on, 2 on the left side, and 2 on the right side.
TM Tractor has new seals also. They are 2 different sizes.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=78436

Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing the brake and seal. :)
Attachments
Cub casting.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi,
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for the gasket for the IH carburetor, that you mentioned in your first post. This one is genuine Case IH, it says.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/921fp.htm

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Fri May 11, 2018 5:31 am

Welcome Back Farmer. it's has been along time since we have seen you.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am

Hi Steve: Good to hear from you.
Yeah, the Cub has been sitting in the tool shed for too long. Actually most of my tractors have been.
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:29 pm

"Major" (my cub) will not make it to the Barnyard Bash this year... I had a little health glitch that had me down for a couple of weeks. Doing OK now but there was just too much getting ready to be done so he will have to sit at home. I wasn't sure we would be able to make it at all but Diana and I will drive down Saturday AM to spend the day. We are only about an hour away.
I'm not worried about fixing the Cub, I used to make much of my living turning wrenches but I really do want to see some of the folks. Great bunch.
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 am

Since "Major" can't make the trip to the Barnyard Bash I thought I would post a picture of him. :)

Tractor - Major my 1947 Farmall Cub.jpg
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:12 am

Looks great, love the patina. I’ve restored several tractors and more and more am liking the original look. After you restore them you don’t want to use them and they sit. Worse thing on anything is sitting.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Postby rockfarmer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:18 am

Someone has to guard the Fort while your gone. Major looks like he is doing a fine job!

I'm curious. How many miles (or years) on those rear tires?

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:50 am

Rockfarmer:
I got those tires in an old and pretty well used state from an old tractor friend after the little Firestone Field & Roads that were on my Cub just suddenly failed all over. The F & R's were on it when we got the Cub somewhere around 1970 or a bit earlier. The knobbies were on it and had been a few years when we held Cubfest 2004 here. That old tractor friend had them stuck back in a shed "just in case" he needed them. I'm not sure what he had in mind for them since he was an Allis Chalmers guy, mostly WC's, WD's and WD-45's. I can't think of anything Allis ever made that they would have fit on, certainly not a G. I saw them and inquired about them, he priced them at $50 for the pair and I whipped out my wallet and paid him, then put them in my truck before he changed his mind. :) About 20 years later they still look the same as then. I really hope they keep going... Tires are one of my worst old tractor problem. Among other conditions I suffer from "thin wallet syndrome" and "too many hobbies disorder". :)

"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20

Return to “Farmall Cub”