This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch pedal adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Re: Clutch pedal adjustment

Postby Posco » Sat May 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Another question about the throwout bearing. The bearing has a grease fitting on the bottom of it, does the graphite absorb the grease over time? I see no outlet anywhere for the grease.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sat May 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi,
Yes, the material is supposed to absorb the more liquid part of the grease.
The original bearings had a small hole at the top of the bearing to let out excess grease, as you pumped it into the grease fitting.

The holes in the throwout bearing holder, and the top pin wear should be inspected when the tractor is split, and the parts replaced if the holes are worn.
The holder has to hold the bearing in the proper position so it contacts the pressure plate fingers correctly.
If the holes and pin are worn, the holder and the bearing can move around, and the front of the bearing can wear wrong, because it is out of position.

You could reach through the hand hole and wiggle the holder, and see if the holder moves around.

TM Tractor has a new holder and pin.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/112fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/5327fp.htm

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat May 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks, Glen.
As I mentioned, the tractor is now back together. What kind of luck do you think I would have trying to replace the pivot pin without splitting the tractor again? I don't know if I can get my hands in there to manipulate the yoke or not. This is the first time I've ever split the tractor and I learned a lot.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi,
I have never replaced a top pin with the Cub together. I don't know how hard it would be.

Sorry if I didn't mention the holder and pin in the earlier posts here. It has been talked of before in other posts.

If the holes and pin are not worn, and not bent wrong, they should be ok.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Here is a pic of the bearing I replaced. As you can see, it's shot. What a difference it made, I can shift the Cub without all of that grinding but I am noticing some noise that sounds like the new bearing might be chattering on the cutch fingers when the tractor is running but not in gear. Can I take that out with the clutch pedal adjustment? Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon May 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Sounds like one or more of your pressure plate fingers is too close to clutch. Should have about a 3/16" (from memory) clearance on all three fingers.
If I am not correct the guys who know will tell us.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:Sounds like one or more of your pressure plate fingers is too close to clutch. Should have about a 3/16" (from memory) clearance on all three fingers.
If I am not correct the guys who know will tell us.

Thanks for the help!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Mon May 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi,
If you set the clutch pedal free play to 1", it will also set the clearance between the throwout bearing, and the fingers.
The 3 fingers have to be all the same height, hopefully you set them so they make a flat surface for the throwout bearing to push on.

Another thing it could be is the throwout bearing holder, it has to squeeze the bearing enough from the sides, at the 2 pivots, so the bearing is held straight up and down. If the bearing is too loose in the holder, the top of the bearing can flop forward, and touch on the fingers. That is not good, it will wear the bearing material off.
If you didn't notice how it is, look in the hand hole and move the bearing on the pivots, and see if it held tight. If it is loose and floped down at the top, you will need to split the Cub and fix it.