This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor thinkers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Tractor thinkers

Postby DickB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am

https://modernfarmer.com/2018/04/smalle ... 7eec95f733

My wife sent me this link. Looks like an older Farmal Cub with a basket weeder up front in one photo...a nice idea. They (Steiner) have an appropriate focus, I thought: small organic farms. There must be many of them by now, and they have a huge buying public according to friends who work at local food stores where the call for organic vegetables is very strong.

Cannot figure out if Steiner has new attachments or perhaps a new tractor. Their idea seems to be small and slow. Cub territory I'd say.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tractor thinkers

Postby tst » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 am

basket weeders are popular around this area, they are $2500-$3000 so they are not cheap

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 am

Take a look at this thread: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99994&hilit=tilmor&start=15. Toward the end is information on the Tilmor. I visited the folks making the tractor and shared a few observations and pics.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 am

They are big on IH equipment compatibility.
Looking at their little tilmore tractor it reminds me of the old Allis Chalmers tractors.

Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 pm

I find it somewhat amusing that the article is all about their updated G but the picture is a Cub.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Jim Becker wrote:I find it somewhat amusing that the article is all about their updated G but the picture is a Cub.

Not that unusual when you consider the fact that they used/use both the G and the Cub in their development work on the Tilmor. They have implements currently available to fit and work well on a Cub and some will work on a Super A.

During the development of the Tilmor, Cub played an important part. You might want to take a close look at the final drive on the prototype #5 Tilmor.
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-39707

Bottom line is that oftentimes a story/article does not get/or print the whole story. That is the case this time.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm

I find it hard to comprehend how people want to grow organic food with no additives etc. and are driving a polluting tractor through it. Oh the humanity :lol:
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm

I just hope it doesn't kill the demand for the old cultivating farmall tractors and Allis tractors. It still isn't as good to me....even if it is "updated". Alot of organic farms use the old ones and probably will switch over now. I guess we will see. Of course there will still be people who want to spend $4,000 or less on a tractor and will go for the older ones then.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Shane Nelson wrote:I find it hard to comprehend how people want to grow organic food with no additives etc. and are driving a polluting tractor through it. Oh the humanity :lol:

I am a certified organic farmer who farms with a Farmall Cub. Of course, I also have a New Holland as a loader tractor too. Someday, I would like to also use draft horses, but being currently Active Duty military, I unfortunately can’t take that on right now since I’m not on the farm full time.

Being certified organic is much more than just not being able to use pesticides. Soil building, water conservation, wildlife habitat, and biodiversity are all addressed in my “Organic Systems Plan”. Yes, I use internal combustion engines, but I would like to think that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Why did I get certified Organic? Beforehand, my farming practices really weren’t that different from the Organic Standards. I was generally low-input, so transitioning really wasn’t that hard. The record keeping requirements increased greatly however. All in all, it was a natural fit into my farm and contributed to the farm’s triple-bottom-line: economic sustainability, social sustainability, and environmental sustainability.

I think that the Cub is a great tractor for the small farm, Organic or conventional.

A funny thing is that with the introduction of low-sulfur diesel, I actually need to now add sulfur to my soil. :)
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 pm

I can’t get a good look at this welder attachment but it looks similar to the horse manure buster they drag behind the tractor in the field. I wonder with some cutting and welding the horse manure buster can be made to adapt to become this belly weeder?

You could save thousands of dollars.

My garden only sees my cub cadet 100 tilling the manure in the springtime. It’s far healthier than the canned tomatoes you buy for tomato sauce today. We try to eat as healthy as we can. Going green means a John Deere and I can’t do that there’s IH tractors in my blood for generations. The old family farm even used IH trucks.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:31 am

WaMoo wrote:
Shane Nelson wrote:I find it hard to comprehend how people want to grow organic food with no additives etc. and are driving a polluting tractor through it. Oh the humanity :lol:

I am a certified organic farmer who farms with a Farmall Cub. Of course, I also have a New Holland as a loader tractor too. Someday, I would like to also use draft horses, but being currently Active Duty military, I unfortunately can’t take that on right now since I’m not on the farm full time.

Being certified organic is much more than just not being able to use pesticides. Soil building, water conservation, wildlife habitat, and biodiversity are all addressed in my “Organic Systems Plan”. Yes, I use internal combustion engines, but I would like to think that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Why did I get certified Organic? Beforehand, my farming practices really weren’t that different from the Organic Standards. I was generally low-input, so transitioning really wasn’t that hard. The record keeping requirements increased greatly however. All in all, it was a natural fit into my farm and contributed to the farm’s triple-bottom-line: economic sustainability, social sustainability, and environmental sustainability.

I think that the Cub is a great tractor for the small farm, Organic or conventional.

A funny thing is that with the introduction of low-sulfur diesel, I actually need to now add sulfur to my soil. :)

Thank you for your service.

I couldn’t go organic if I wanted too, all I would be doing is feeding the bugs good plants and maybe a vegetable if they made it that far.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

jsfarmall
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72454
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie" (wife's tractor)
1965 IH Cub "Annie"
1943 Farmall H
1953 Farmall Super M (granddad's tractor)

Postby jsfarmall » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:44 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I just hope it doesn't kill the demand for the old cultivating farmall tractors and Allis tractors. It still isn't as good to me....even if it is "updated". Alot of organic farms use the old ones and probably will switch over now. I guess we will see. Of course there will still be people who want to spend $4,000 or less on a tractor and will go for the older ones then.

There is a good side and bad side to that. On the personal point there is less demand for the tractors so makes em cheaper for us. But less demand means less replacement parts are built which makes em harder to find and more costly.to buy.

On the big picture, there is a new item to be manufactured so it's good for our economy nationally. Creates more jobs and promotes economic growth. Just all depends how it's looked at. Personally if my livelyhood and the food on my family's table depended on a tractor I would want a newer tractor I can readily easily buy parts for without having to wait a few days to weeks to fix. I absolutely love my.cubs. all 3 of em. But I don't depend on them for everything like a full time full scale farmer.would.
1948 Cub "Trusty"
1948 Cub "Rusty" mower tractor, trimmed ear dash
1948 Cub "Bob"
1948 Cub "Sallie"
1965 IH Cub "Annie" mower tractor,
1943 Farmall H,
1953 Farmall Super M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 am

I don't see a major market for the Tilmore tractor in the USA.

There are several vegetable grower in the area that sell at farmers market. They all have the necessary equipment for production of their products.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:59 am

I'm hoping the best for them, but keep thinking "Why buy a new tractor at that price when I can get a good Cub or A with implements for a whole lot less?".

I grew up on a 80 acre produce farm in SW Arkansas and we never got a brand new tractor until I was almost grown and if we hadn't of had a couple of good years in a row, we probably wouldn't have got it then. Growing up we had a JD 620 for the heavy work, a Super C for everything else and there was a Cub for one year on a smaller place in the family. They were older tractors then (late 60s/early 70s), but they just kept on working when we needed them.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

Return to “Farmall Cub”