This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Bearing Oil Cups Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Generator Bearing Oil Cups Question

Postby w30bob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi Guys,

On my '59 Cub I noticed the oil cup for the front generator bearing is missing in action. The rear cup is a black plastic deal like the cap on a straw, but much smaller. At the front of the generator where the other cup should be there's just a hole. I'm assuming they didn't switch to a sealed front bearing in '59, so two questions;

First, does anybody know where to get those little oil cups with the flip up lid? Looked online quickly last night and didn't find anything. I'll try McMaster in a few minutes.

Second, since the cup on the front of the gen has been missing for what must be a long time (there's no sign it was ever there, but most likely was)........what's the best way to clean out the junk in the hole to the bearing without pushing all that junk INTO the bearing. Short of tearing the whole generator down and pressing out the bearing, and then cleaning the hole......does anybody have any ideas on how to clean it without disassembling it?

thanks,
bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Generator Bearing Oil Cups Question

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:15 pm

The bearing cup/cap assembly is available, At a cubfest, a forum member replaced some on a magneto that was rebuilt. Sorry I don't know the parts source, maybe someone who has purchased them will post their source. You might check McDonald carb and ignition website, they're in Atlanta GA area. As for the hole needing cleaning there is a wick inside the hole that gets saturated with oil when it is serviced so it's unlikely that anything has gotten into the bearing. You could replace the wick but that's probably not necessary. The same forum member who rebuilt the magneto also had some replacement wick material on hand.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Yes, what Stan said. I'll add 2 thoughts.
1) You could gently scratch around in the oiler hole with a pick or tiny screwdriver, to loosen up whatever has accumulated. Then blow it out with air (blowing through an inserted small tube or straw would help).
2) Although the original bearing wasn't sealed, it could now have a sealed replacement. If so, the oil cup may have been deliberately removed. No way to know without disassembly. Attempting to oil a sealed bearing won't do any damage.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:31 pm

McMaster Carr has you covered, click on the link below, follow the "grease and oil fittings" link, then scroll down the page and you will find what you are looking for.
https://www.mcmaster.com/?ref=driverlayer.com#lubrication-systems/=1cev2tl

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi,
If it is an original generator, and if the hole was originally open, and not a sealed replacement generator, or something, you could use a drill bit the size just smaller than the hole, and turn it in by hand with pliers.

I would not use an electric drill. Turn it by hand. It will collect the dirt, then pull it out of the hole.
The hole might be too deep to do it in one time, go slowly, and pull it out, clean the bit, and turn it in again. :)

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56377

Postby JimCub48 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm

I would use a shop vac. at the same time while using the drill bit it will help suck out the dirt and prevent it from falling down on the bearning.

w30bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20634
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall A
1975 John Deere 301
2015 Kubota BX25DLR
1952 Dodge M37 Weapons Carrier
1955 Willys M38A1

Postby w30bob » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi Guys,

You guys are GOOD! Didn't know it used a wick......and the drill bit and shop vac sound like the way to go. And thanks for the McMaster lead......will get right on that.

Had a '76 square nose Cub follow me home today from a big auction on one of the neighbor's farms. Need to get my '59 running and ready for the season before the '76 takes all my attention (tomorrow).

You guys are so good I'll bet you'll know exactly why my '59 won't start. Check out my new post!!

thanks to all!

bob

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi,
If there is a wick in the hole, the drill bit might ruin it, if you turn it through the wick. The wick could be old and fall apart easily, or it might still be good, not sure.

Taking it apart, and washing out the bearing and hole would be the best way probably. The bearing might need replacing, or might not need replacing.

Return to “Farmall Cub”