Bad Head Gasket?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
49Cub2017
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 62960

Re: Bad Head Gasket?

Postby 49Cub2017 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I was thinking I shouldn't run it any more due to the oil being contaminated with antifreeze. I'm also thinking the hood and gas tank come off before I can get to the head, so are you saying to run it until hot, then take the tank off before it cools down?

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:23 pm

You'll want to rig up a pony tank so you can run the engine to get it hot after the head gasket is replaced, so that you can re-torque the bolts. So, I'd go ahead and rig up a pony tank so you can heat the engine up like Tim suggested. Definitely use an impact wrench!!! I didn't have one, and broke 4 head bolts!!! Luckily for me, two came out with an ez-out, and I only had to drill 2 out. Those 2, and one of the ez-out bolts got overdrilled and re-tapped to the next size bigger bolt because the threads were so rusty and damaged.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Take the tank off and use a pony tank to get the engine hot. Shut it off, drain the coolant (you should be sure you can easily drain the coolant before getting the engine hot), remove the head bolts.

Bill

Bill (gitractorman) types faster than I do. :)
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

49Cub2017
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby 49Cub2017 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:37 pm

I think this is making more sense...use temporary tank to get it hot in order to make extracting head bolts easier. Then drain coolant, remove head, install new head gasket, torque it down, put coolant back in, crank it up and run it up to temp, retorque. I absolutely want to avoid having to drill bolts out! That's just not going to happen!

49Cub2017
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby 49Cub2017 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Also...on about the impact wrench. I've seen the kind that you hit with a hammer...is that what you're talking about or are you talking about the kind you hook up to a tool compressor?

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Air impact wrench, set on a low setting to just jar the bolts loose.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

49Cub2017
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby 49Cub2017 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 pm

OK, got it. As far as running it with the oil/antifreeze mixture i guess that's really about the only way you can do it. But after the new gasket goes on then it's time to drain and replace oil and filter, but is that sufficient? No need to flush? Maybe just a couple of oil changes close together?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi,
Try to get as much antifreeze out of the oil and oil pan as you can, after replacing the head gasket. The 2 oil changes you said will be helpful. I don't know if it has a small amount of antifreeze in the oil, or lots of antifreeze.

Use a tap the right size and run it in the head bolt holes to clean them out, and use a die on the head bolts, if you are not replacing them, to clean the threads.
Turn all the bolts into the threads by hand, all the way in, with the head off, and then remove them, to be sure they turn easily. The bolts have to turn easily to do an accurate torquing.

The head bolt threads go into the engine water jacket. The bolts need non hardening sealer on the bottom 1/2" of the threads to prevent coolant from leaking out. Coolant can come up the threads without sealer.
I use Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket, it is a non hardening liquid in a small can, with an applicator brush built under the cap. They sell it at NAPA. If you buy one, stir it well before using, with a screwdriver or something, it settles in the bottom of the can sitting.
Below is a pic of it.

The guys on here have said to use spray Copper Spray on the head gasket before putting the head on, it helps it seal. Put the head on while the Copper Spray is still wet, it helps it seal better.
Be sure to apply it evenly to both sides of the new gasket.
To do that, you have to have everything cleaned and ready to put the head on before you spray the gasket. Have the torque sequence pic there, ready to go.

Practice using the spray a little on some flat metal or something, so you can spray it evenly on the gasket.
The head needs re torquing after the engine has been run and fully heated up, and then is cold again, hours after running.

Below is a pic of the spray, they might have it at NAPA too, not sure though. :)
Attachments
Cub Permatex.jpg
Cub Permatex.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Cub Copper coat.jpg
Cub Copper coat.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Last edited by Glen on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 pm

49Cub2017 wrote: Maybe just a couple of oil changes close together?

Do the first change now, before you start it again.