This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planter Plate Selection for Different Seeds

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Planter Plate Selection for Different Seeds

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Does anyone use a combination hopper (the flat cast iron or plastic plates) to plant different seeds? I'm looking for information on what plates are good to plant different seeds. It is tough because as I'm only aware the plate numbers list mostly corn and sorghum. Maybe some of you have more info than I can find too. I just want to make sure I order the right plate (or have one). I understand the number of holes are generally for spacing or planting thick or thin, so I'm sure there are some plates that are the same but have a different count of holes.....which doesn't matter in this case, as I can figure that part out.

Looking for plates to plant canteloupe, squash, and cucumber. Maybe one that will do peas or a type of bean too. Anyone have some compatible IH or Lustran numbers?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Eugene H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36255
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub
1973 154-Lo-Boy

Re: Planter Plate Selection for Different Seeds

Postby Eugene H. » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Chase,
There are different plates listed in the quick links PDF file for planter parts. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I not all that familiar with it.

Thanks,
Eugene
:tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm

I've seen that. I can look again as it has been a while, but best to my knowledge it was just corn and sorghum listed for the most part. I've heard that the plates can work with other stuff but IH didn't list them that way. Didn't know if anyone used a particular plate for a particular seed that worked well.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:07 pm

Most of the planter parts books have them. Some may be listed in the Common Units section. A lot of the Owner's Manuals have a list too.

I know that CBI-2A has about 4 pages in with the Cub-174A planter. It has several pages of illustrations and several pages later is a 4 page listing.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Gave my 174 manual to the feller that bought my planter. Had a plethora of plate and setup info. So ditto to what Jim said. Printed my manual off the forum
Thomas

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:50 am

Maybe this "link" of plastic planter plates , might help determining the correct number plate, for your needs ! I bought two IH # 185 , single row planters , several years ago , I thought , some day, mounting them on my Cub tractor !
Lee Petrie , Joliet, IL https://lincolnagproducts.com/support/

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks all. Yeah, if anyone here uses a particular plate for a certain type of seed and it plants it well, let me know which you use. I'll take a look at all of this info.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com