Newbie to the CUB Scene

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
teched
Zip Code: 13338

Newbie to the CUB Scene

Postby teched » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Hell Folks, Just purchased a 1952 cub with a belly mower, push blade and tire chains for $800 delivered to my door. It runs great, drives, shifts and even stops! The only problem I see are fuel leaks. She is leaking out the bowl and out the carb. If you forget and leave the fuel on it will flood the engine. Is there a carb kit and a seal sit for the sediment bowl? Also dumb question where is the oil dipstick? Cant seam to find it. Thanks in advance.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie to the CUB Scene

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Dip stick is attached (or should be) to the cap just below and to the right of the carb.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on making a great purchase, that was about half the normal price for a cub and those attachments. If you go to the Quick Links in the upper left corner of the page you can download manuals, including owner's manual. A good place to get new Parts is TM Tractor, one of the sponsors at the bottom of the page. The dipstick is the round dome just below the carb., and sometimes takes a pretty good pull to remove it. Be careful of your knuckles banging on the carb. :x
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Waif
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Welcome teched.
Congrats on the Cub. They have heart and character.

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 pm

The fuel bowl originally had a cork gasket. Possibly yours is dried out. I've made my own and it's worked well.
As far as the carb, it is most likely the float not working properly. I would do a good cleaning before spending money on a rebuild when it might not be needed. If you do pull the carb, be careful taking it apart. Don't twist it, you'll break off the small tube inside. As a side note l've also made my own carb to manifold gaskets using regular gasket paper.

Good luck and welcome
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You won't be able to download any of the manuals until you've logged a 2nd post. Once you do that, you'll have access to all the manuals on the server. It's located under the "Quick Links" pull-down menu in the upper left of the screen. Go to "PDF Manuals", then scroll down and select whatever manual interests you. As a new owner of a Cub, we'd suggest downloading the Owner's Manual first and taking some time to read it. Many questions you may have will be answered there. Then, as far as working on your Cub, there are Service Manuals and other information that will be helpful.

We'd also encourage you to read:

Use the "Search" box in the upper right of the screen. It will locate answers to many of your questions.

Here's a good thread in the How To Forum for new-to-you Cub owners: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

Glad to have you here. Get that 2nd post under your belt and try to attach a picture of your Cub. We'd like to see it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Drfting1
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 07461
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub

Postby Drfting1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Welcome! Very nice score
Bill

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Check out this list of events. If you can attend, you will have a great time and be exposed to more Cub tractor information than you can absorb in one weekend. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=98212

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub owner's manual, showing the engine oil dipstick.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-14.jpg

Below is the whole 1955 Cub owner's manual, the experts on here recommend that people read it, it has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
They have said on here that IH did not make a new owner's manual every year, this manual is close to the year Cub you have, and has the same electrical system that a 1952 Cub originally had.
It was the closest year in the group of manuals I looked at. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The needle and seat in the carburetor can wear out after years of use, and won't seal anymore, then the gas drips from the carburetor when the
cub is sitting. Or, the float level can be too high, or the needle and seat can have dirt in it, even a small piece of dirt will keep if from sealing.
The float level needs checking and setting exactly when the carb is apart.
Below is a new needle and seat at TM Tractor, they are all metal. It is a Case IH part, it says.

www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/5183fp.htm

teched

Postby teched » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am

Wow! Thank you so much for all the info! I did find the dipstick and the oil looked good. I found this deal on facebook marketplace and jumped on it fast. I didn't have time to really look it over. It ran, moved, stopped and I pulled the trigger. I have to say after more detailed inspection. It is the finest running tractor I have ever owned. You can idle her down till you can almost read the numbers on fan belt. I drove it around the house went through all the gears. SWEAT!!! I engaged the Rotary Mower and it sounded like a choir of angels. All the belts are good. Not sure If I can post a picture, maybe after a few more posts. Thanks -Ed

teched

Postby teched » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:55 am

CUB1.jpg
Fresh off the trailer

teched

Postby teched » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 am

CUB2.jpg

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi,
The Cub looks good in your pics.

I would check all the oils before using the Cub. If they are low on oil, it can damage the parts.
There are 3 separate gear case oils at the rear of a Cub, with 3 separate oil levels to check, the transmission, and 2 final drives.
The trans commonly get water in them from rain, or condensation inside the case. There is an oil level plug low on the left side, the trans is filled to there. The drain plug can be seen from under the platform, with a mower under the Cub, it might be hard to get at. The trans filler plug is to the rear of the gear shift lever.

To check the left final drive oil, you will need to remove the mower drive parts, if they are attached to the drawbar brackets, and the drawbar, the oil level plug is behind the drawbar bracket.
The right final drive oil plug is ahead, probably behind mower bracket parts, if the mower attaches there.
The final drives are the same gear case, facing opposite ways on the right and left sides.
To change their oils, you need to remove the final drive oil pans, at the bottom of the units. There are gaskets that probably need replacing if you remove the pans. TM Tractor below on the page has new gaskets, and Cub parts.

The fan assembly needs oil put in it, if low, it can ruin it. The manual shows how to put oil in it.
The clutch throwout bearing has a grease fitting that needs greasing.

Below is a page from the owner's manual I posted above, showing the lubrication guide. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-18.jpg

There are 2 pages missing from the 1955 owner's manual in the lubrication section.

Below is the 1950 Cub owner's manual, you can use the lubrication section in it, it is complete. 1950 had a different electrical system than 1952, so don't use that info in the manual.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Last edited by Glen on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Looks like a pretty good rig. I bleieve that is the first one I ever saw that used the right angle belt attachment to drive the mower. That 90 degree belt deal does have it's own oil supply, so don't forget it when checking everything.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 am

Nice buy!
Wish l could be in the right place at the right time like that.
Good luck with it, sounds like it's already a runner so it should be fairly easy to do any tweaks that it might need.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?: