This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor housing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28540
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Governor housing

Postby Brodalick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:20 pm

I have an oil leak (hopefully the last one to fix) and it looks like its coming from the governor housing. TM Tractor shows a governor housing gasket. Will oil leak from this gasket and if so are there any surprises when I remove the housing to replace the gasket?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor housing

Postby tst » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 pm

the oil leak is probably the oil seal inside the governor housing

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 am

If the governor leaks from the mounting gasket, the bolts might be slightly loose, and need tightening.
If you remove the whole governor, it will disengage the magneto or Battery Ignition unit drive from the magneto or Battery Ignition unit, and you may get it out of time, and the governor drive gear will come out from the engine timing gears.
If oil is running down the outside of the governor case, there is a small oil seal also, on the side of the governor facing the left side of the tractor. It is where the shaft comes out of the governor that goes to the carburetor. Sometimes the oil seal lasts for years and does not leak, sometimes it does leak, just one possibility.

Below are pages from the Cub parts manual showing the governor.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-18.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-19.jpg

The oil seal is number 9 in the pic, before taking the governor apart, you could look in from the left side of the Cub with a light, and see if the seal is leaking.

Below are pics from TM Tractor of the governor, if you remove the casting, I would oil the linkage pivot, where the cotter key is, they commonly get tight from no oil.
Attachments
Cub gov 3.jpg
Cub gov 1.jpg

Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brodalick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 am

Hopefully its the small outside seal. I need to do a few governor adjustments so that will give me a good chance to clean things up so i can look for the leak. Would rather live with the leak right now instead of taking off the gov assembly.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:58 am

Brodalick wrote:. . . clean things up so i can look for the leak. . . .

That is a good first step, make sure where the leak is coming from. There is also a possibility the oil is coming from the fan and isn't a governor leak at all.

Brodalick
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Brodalick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Small outside seal is leaking. Guess that's the easiest to fix. Will place an order with TM tractor cause i need a few other things also. Like brake return springs.

Return to “Farmall Cub”