This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Axle Wedges?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rcupka
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48176
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

Axle Wedges?

Postby rcupka » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I have been member for several months and have seen references to axle wedges but never an explanation.
The pictures look like an aftermarket design. Is this a design deficiency?

Dick Cupka
1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Axle Wedges?

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:58 pm

The wedges keep the front axle from pivoting. When removing a rear tire or splitting the tractor, there is a chance of it tipping over if not wedged. The originals were just wooden wedges which tended to split or slip out. Rick Prentice is in the process of making the aluminum ones with threaded rods to hold them in place.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi,
The wedges are not something that comes with the Cub when they were new, you have to make them, and hammer them in the front axle pivot, like Bob said, to keep the Cub from tipping over to the left, when removing parts from the rear, final drives, etc. :)

Below is a pic of wedges from Dale Finch.
Attachments
Cub wedges 2.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 pm

The reason for using wedges is that removing weight from one side of the Cub and jacking up the tractor may cause it to tip over.

I use wedges like Dale Finch's posted photo, but made from well seasoned oak.

In addition to the wedges, I have used the 60 lb. sand bags that folks use to add weight over car axles in winter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”