This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb and throttle issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Carb and throttle issues

Postby John C » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 pm

I let my Cub sit for a year or so without starting. In that time, I did some cleanup on the engine, etc.
When I put everything back together and started it, the throttle would not move. I could move it on the carb end, but not up top using the lever. Recommendations?
I also have a problem with the carb sealing against the manifold. It leaks air badly and whistles. Almost like it warped while it was off. The nuts are tight on the studs. Would a second gasket help?

John
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carb and throttle issues

Postby Waif » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Check course of throttle rod. Look for a bent tab holding it near midspan of engine on top of head. If one exists ,see if it is bent too tight or rusted.
Follow to where it ends and see if the connection is lubed and can be moved. Then check from that connection to the next moving part , and so on till you reach carb.

If your carbs top is warped above it's gasket it needs fixed. ( Not related to where carb fits on manifold , but a potential air leak spot too). If good then a new gasket between carb and manifold should seal that separate / different than carb top connection.
If old gasket was re-used ,it may have simply been too compressed from age/ use.

The part that bolts to manifold is usually robust, but check it with a straight edge to satisfy curiosity.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:39 pm

check the arm on top of the governor housing, they will rust to the pivot shaft causing the throttle issue, needs to be oiled, may have to do it a few times to get it to soak in, the arm will break easily if forced so be patient
the carb tops get warped from over tighten, they can be straighted

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Great; thanks! I sprayed some Liquid Wrench in the vicinity of where the throttle rod connects to the thingy, but I couldn't remember what the thingy was called, so I left out that part of my original post.
For the carb, I wouldn't have thought that the top would warp while just sitting on the shelf a couple months. I used a new gasket and I could tell it wasn't sealing when I tightened the nuts. I can check it with the straightedge though.
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"