This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator wiring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Generator wiring

Postby farmergiffIV » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Howdy,

I didn’t see anything on a search so here’s My question: I took off the generator from an engine rebuild and I don’t know if I put the red wire back on properly. I am also not sure if my battery is charging when the engine is running.

The wire I am referring too is the only one that runs off the generator and to the main switch by the front driver seat. I referred to my owners manual to doublecheck but those black and white drawings are awfully terrible at helping me distinguish much of anything. If anyone has some pics that would be swell.
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Generator wiring

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi,
You didn't say which Cub you are working on, the 1948 originally had a cutout, or Relay, IH called it, on top of the generator, and the 1953 originally had a voltage regulator, on a base beside the generator.

The ammeter will show if the generator is charging the battery when the engine is running.
You can also attach an automotive test voltmeter to the system, and see if it is charging with the engine running. The guys on here have said that a voltmeter with a pointer and dial works better for a Cub. :)

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:04 am

Below are photos of wiring connections at the generator and light switch on a '48 Cub. Wire connects the “F” terminal on the generator to the generator field resistor coil on the back of the four position switch.
Generator & Cutout Wiring 001.pdf
(245.18 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Attachments
4Pos Light Switch Wiring 001.pdf
(174.55 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks, I think my ‘53 charges but the ‘48 doesn’t appear to be. I am going to invest in a volt meter now so I can see if it’s actually working.
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Bill V in Md wrote:Below are photos of wiring connections at the generator and light switch on a '48 Cub. Wire connects the “F” terminal on the generator to the generator field resistor coil on the back of the four position switch.
Generator & Cutout Wiring 001.pdf

The thing I don’t get is that the photo shows two wires leading from the braided wire that connect to the generator...
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:24 pm

farmergiffIV wrote:

The thing I don’t get is that the photo shows two wires leading from the braided wire that connect to the generator...[/quote]

Nope, only one wire from the harness goes to the generator. The other wire from the harness goes to the cutout. I agree it does look like two from the harness go to the generator, but if you look closer what appears to be a wire is actually a joint in the external housing of the generator and it is in line with the short wire from the generator “A” terminal to the cutout.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”