This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

68 Cub Rebuild in progress

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39120

Re: 68 Cub Rebuild in progress

Postby cavingreer » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Set the valves since I had the manifold off. Checked the manifold over and didn't find any issues. I think it had been leaking around the intakes - lot of carbon and rust build up so I cleaned and smoothed it up good and made my own gasket out of 6 layers of stainless steel tape. Seems sealed up properly now.
Checked the throttle link yoke per some instructions from Glen but that didn't pan out. It actually wouldn't let it drop to idle stop, so I adjusted it back to the rest position.
Static set the timing again at TDC, then put the timing light on it and set it to the 16-deg BTDC at full throttle per the manual.
Test run was completely different. No issues at 3rd gear anymore and the governor kicks in so it pulls up hills fine.
I actually had to idle it down with the valves and timing set right. Put Seafoam in with just a little bit of gas and ran about half through it. Will run the rest through with testing.
Now I can put the new pulleys on and see how it mows!
IT Guy by day, Rockstar by night, Amateur tractor restorer on occasion 8)
1949 Farmall Cub #94459 - Restoration Thread
"Organized chaos is better than no chaos at all"

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:03 am

Leaking intake will result in low power. It does have to be a really small leak. A leak of any size will cause no start issues. Learned that the hard way. Had a tractor that was running when I bought it, drove it home. Would not start. Took me a year to find it. PO had just given it a "paint job". I had burned the paint off of the intake on the drive home. 365+ days later new intake exhaust gasket. Fires up every time.
Walter

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Mon May 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Well I'm calling this one done. The last few weeks I got several things done.
I cleaned and packed the front wheel bearings. Got a crash course in the rear bearing because it slipped right off while I was washing it out with parts cleaner, but I managed to figure out the taper in the bearings and getting it greased into the race and got it back on. I was more careful on the other side. Replaced both front tires (one completely disintegrated) with trailer tires since he's going to be mowing not plowing anymore.

I had to sort out the blade belt. I don't know how it ever mowed before because the blade belt was too short. It kept popping off and when I finally got it tight and level enough to mow it broke. Put my belt on it and discovered mine's 139" and his was 132". Mine is running on it perfectly and hasn't jumped off once since I put it on.

I had carb issues. I put one of the $35 Kipa carbs on it. I have the same carb on mine and it's never given me any issue since I installed it. But this one sat in the shop since September and I think it ruined the float needle because it would constantly stick and not release. Fiddling with it I wound up ruining the fuel line inlet threads. I ordered a replacement and bench tested the new one and it was fine. I had also replaced the rubber fuel line with factory steel and the rigged up fuel valve with a sediment bowl. Clogged up at the tank outlet from the rust in the tank when I first ran it, but since I unclogged that it hasn't stopped at all and today I mowed 3 or 4 acres including some thick field thatch and heavy wet weeds (just rained last night) and it had no issues whatsoever! Time for this old boy to go back home! My youngest grandson approves
JW_On_Pops_Cub.resized.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Mon May 10, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi,
Good that you got the Cub to run better.

It looks like in your pic above that the left brake pedal is down, maybe you have the brakes locked on, I can't see in the pic.
There are pedal return springs under the platform, one spring on each pedal, to pull the 3 pedals up against the edge of the platform. If one or more are broken or gone, the pedal or pedals won't be pulled up.

TM Tractor has new pedal springs, if you need any. Below is their listing.
The pic looks like they are bare metal, if they are, you might want to paint them before putting them on, to slow down rusting.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/br/864fp.htm

The seat is probably softer with a new pad.
Below is a listing you can look at. They have black also. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/se/295fp.htm

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm

The brake levers were locked up when I got it but they are continually getting looser. I'll probably run by TSC and pick him up a seat pad

cavingreer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cavingreer » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:42 pm

Old shadetree tip. Use Vaseline to mask your tires for painting. Got Pop's wheels ready to go back on. Can't wait to hear the nephew's next excuse why he can't use the tractor to mow :?
20220729_152328_copy_600x800.jpg

20220729_091201_copy_600x800.jpg

20220729_091305_copy_600x800.jpg

20220729_122901_copy_600x800.jpg

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:04 pm