This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First project Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: First project Cub

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:37 am

Soak the pin with your favorite penetrant for a week or so before attempting to remove the pin. WD40 is NOT a penetrant.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:44 am

Poodee wrote:. . . Turns out I didn’t quite grasp what parts were what inside until I read the manual . . .
Amazing what you can learn that way.

Poodee
Zip Code: 16403

Postby Poodee » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:14 am

So the carb is rebuilt correctly now. Got the old float out and realized there was a hole in it. Put new float in and set it and no leaks! Now on to spark. With new points and condenser there was still no spark so I ordered a new coil and put it in. I put a crack in the cap while tightening down the screws which I don’t know if that’s crucial or not but still no spark. So what’s next? Recheck point gap? I’m assuming the mag is still energized since I had to muscle out the old coil.

Poodee
Zip Code: 16403

Postby Poodee » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:16 am

Also how should I be checking for spark? I know that may sound dumb but I just want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. I’ve always used a test lead and had it inline with where the energy should flow. So for this I have it touching the inside of the coil cap where the plug wire would go and connected to the wire end that was in there.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:22 am

Some on here have said before, take the coil wire and hold the end near a bare piece of metal on the block while cranking the engine. If there is a spark it should jump a 1/4" or so. Investing in a "spark checker" might not be a bad idea while you're chasing down ignition problems.
I would suggest you double check all of your connections inside the mag to make sure you're not grounding out somewhere.
Good luck, l'm sure others with more technical knowledge will chime in.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:02 am

Rotor and pinion gear have to be correctly assembled and in time. See GSS 1012 service manual located in the manuals section at Quick links tab, top left corner of this page. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

C-dubb
Zip Code: 66002
Tractors Owned: 1976 longstripe

Postby C-dubb » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:51 pm

For now, you can start your Cub using a 12 volt negative ground battery. It won't hurt the Magneto and your 6 volt starter will work fine on 12 volts. Your charging system won't work but with a magneto you will use very little power and your battery will not need charged for a long time.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:50 pm

Hi,
I would check the power of the spark the magneto is making like K Hutchins said above, by holding a spark plug wire 1/4" from a bare place on the engine block, then you can see how far the spark jumps.
It should be a blue or white spark. Yellow is weak, and the engine may not run.
Use the starter for the test.

Charge the battery fully, so the engine turns over well.
A slow charge is better, with about a 6 amp charger, that automatically slows the charge when the battery is charged up.
Below is a pic of timing the rotor drive gears. Clean out the old grease, and apply new grease to the gears, if it hasn't been done lately.
I would put glue or sealer of some kind on the crack you said it has in the coil cap, I guess you meant the cover on top of the coil. :)
Attachments
Cub magneto 4.jpg
Cub magneto 4.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 127 times