This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

8" wide rear rims from the factory?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob Allard
Zip Code: 28043
Tractors Owned: 11 Cubs, 1947-77
1962 Farmall 140
JCB 3CX-14 Backhoe/Loader

Re: 8" wide rear rims from the factory?

Postby Bob Allard » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:48 am

Dusti Snider wrote:[img]Mom%20on%20Poppy's%20Farmall%20Cub%20001.jpeg[/img]

Poppy’s Cub was a ‘51, I’ve always thought it had huge rear rubber in it compared to any other Cub I’ve ever seen. Perhaps they were 8” rims…

Those rear tires, are, surely, the 9x24's, and look just like the ones that were in that great, train car, photo and the fronts look like the ones that were on that train, also. There's, also, a good chance that those rear rims were the, special 8" rims!

Some have said, that the dealers had ordered the Cubs, this way, (both, front and rear, tires) to give, extra, flotation, in the wet fields.

Do you know where that tractor was bought? Do you, still, have that tractor, in the family? Can I use your picture for my post, about those tires?

Here's my post: https://www.facebook.com/messenger_medi ... 8178516971

Let me know if you are able to see it...
Attachments
Late 1949 Cubs on train car in Sanford North Carolina.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 8" wide rear rims from the factory?

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:14 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Well, how about that. I spent half the morning looking into this. I am one of the people that said the 9-24 tires were mounted on a 7-inch rim. My '61 Cub has what I believe to be an original 9-24 tire on it's original 7-inch rim. Proof by example. Most of the Cub parts catalogs call it out that way. That turns out to be mostly true, but not completely.

Part number 353723R91 is a W8-24 for the Cub. I found it in TC-37C, issued 8/29/53. The next older Parts Catalog I have access to is TC-37A 5/2/49, which does not list it. The next one later is TC-37D 12/54. It dropped back out by the time of that catalog. So it evidently the 8-inch rim wasn't available for very long, maybe 3 years or so.

I was just out looking at different versions of rear rims. Discovered that I have one of the 8-inch rims. It is on a parts tractor with a 7 on one side and an 8 on the other. The (no good) tires match but the rims don't. Never noticed.